ak123 - Good for you! You found a way to get your brother's words to us and what a great response you got! Some survivors just cannot come themselves to the forum - my son was on here just for a little while but he told me it just depressed him too much to see what others were going through. So I just kept relaying to him all the good, helpful comments. And you have such great knowledgeable and helpful comments above. Here are just a couple of things I might add:

Has your brother tried Christine's recipe for her famous very high calorie Chocolate peanut butter shake? (I can't find it right now but maybe someone else has it). Very softly scrambled egg with melted cheese on top was one of my son's favorites and just slid down very easily. Also, about the mouthwash for pain swallowing - my son had to switch back and forth between "Magic Mouthwash" and others since he found they would work only for a little while, but worked again when he went back to the original one. Re the dreaded PEG tube, my son felt the same way about it, and he "toughed it out" but just seeing him in such pain and not eating, I wish now I had done more to get him to agree to it. It is only a temporary thing and might make a lot of difference in how he feels. He can still swallow without having to use it all the time. Whatever your brother decides to do, you and he have a bunch of really great people here all ready to support you both in any way they can!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)