Emily, I will be very honest with you. Please pass this along to your brother for me. I know how this goes and understand how difficult it is, Ive gone thru it and struggled greatly. I also was hospitalized several times for malnutrition and dehydration. I dont want to see the same thing happen to anyone else.

If your brother is unable to take in the daily minimums of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water he needs to get either a feeding tube or a nasal tube to get his nutrition. If not then dont be surprised if he doesnt end up in the hospital for malnutrition and dehydration. Nobody wants a feeding tube but it is a tool many of us have been forced to use to get thru the hardest weeks of our lives. A nasal tube is great for short periods of time, plus no surgery.

Ask the doc for a prescription to get hydrated in the chemo lab. he will feel so much better after a couple bags of saline. He should get this done a few times a week. It will help alot!

When it gets to about week 5 thats when most of us really started to struggle. It will continue to get harder even after rads ends. Most patients will begin to feel better about 3-4 weeks after finishing rads. I know how rough it is but please hang in there and talk everything over with the nurses and doctors.

His sense of taste is not going to improve for several weeks. He must make a choice either to tough it out and eat/drink anyway no matter what it tastes to hit the daily minimums or to get the feeding tube. There is no sliding by when it comes to intake, he cant fool anyone, his weight and condition tell the story of how much he is taking in. Other patients have tried it all (including myself) rocks in their pockets to avoid the weigh-in drama. There is no way around it, lack of intake will get noticed. Plus the less you eat and drink, the worst you feel coupled with the radiation fatigue and you have one bad combo.

He should be taking pain meds. Many of us used the fentayl patch. It takes 24 hours to work and the patient must step up dosage and down as well as very carefully following all directions. Never cut, tear, bend, fold, rip or otherwise damage the patch and no long hot showers or baths either while wearing it. I would be surprised if he was on less than 100 (probably 50 or 75 to start). Magic mouthwash swishes before its time to eat and resting. Rinsing with the 16 oz warm water, 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt will help too but may burn so cut the salt back.

Try some of the foods on this list. I used to drink yoohoo. It soothed my raw throat and had plenty of calories too.

Easy to Eat Foods

Hang in there!!! When the going gets tough, the tough must keep going. We are in your corner and will help get you thru this. You are almost to the finish line then you can rest in your home for a few weeks until you feel a little better.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma