Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. In my own experience, the sleepless nights and worry lessened with time. Once I had the diagnosis, my mind switched over from worry to just simply trusting the doctors, nurses & other staff at the cancer center & believing that they're professionals & will do the best they can to fix me up. Once I resigned myself to the fact that there's really no benefit to me worrying about it, there's nothing I can personally do about it now, and that the only people that will make it better are already doing what they can, I started being able to sleep again. I was reasonably lucky to get my treatment fairly quickly.

As business owners, I suppose you'll feel the need to get back to it as quickly as possible. I'm just a regular old grunt working for someone else, but was lucky enough to have a fairly substantial short term disability coverage at work, and was off for a bit under four months with pay. How long your husband will be out of commission will probably depend on what they end up doing with him in terms of treatment.

Dx 2014Jan29 (42 yr old otherwise fit nonsmoker)
SCC tongue stage III T3N0M0
subtotal glossectomy, partial neck dissection, RFFF, trach, NG tube 2014Feb25 16 days in hospital
RAD 25 zaps 2014May5-2014Jun9
Back to work, paddling & hiking shortly afterwards