[quote=donfoo]How long did the board discuss your case? It could not have been 7 hours? Did you have to wait quite awhile? Just curious.

It seems like the board recommended both chemo and radiation. What do you know that would support not following the recommendation?

My entire team was all on the same page. Whenever there were a decision with options, we all shouted NUKE IT! DESTROY THE BASTARD!

I wanted the treatment that took every advantage to kill the beast. If nothing else, I knew I would never lose a wink of sleep or spend a single waking minute wondering if more could have been done. If it returns, I will never look back and wonder if....

Your brother is very young and that was factored into the board decision. They took all factors into account. There was surely more than a century of doctor experiences in the room. If you trust them, don't over think the treatment plan. That said, you can always get a second opinion by a different group. If that would help ease how to proceed do that but don't second guess the recommendations. Good luck don[/quote]

Hi Don- Sorry, what I meant by that was we met with the tumor board for a .5 hour, then we had to meet with dentist, then radiation doctor and then chemo doctor. Thats why it took us all day long.

I dont know anything that would give me reason to not follow their recommendations because of course what they recommend is whats best. After researching everything I do see that IMRT and Cisplatin is the best care for him. However, I wonder if the extra 8% chance of non-recourrence is worth the chemo. I worry about the chemo side affects.

I totally agree with you that we want to definitely do everything for this to never come back so that way we dont have to question our choices. That is why we are going to do the radiation and the cisplatin chemo.

Thank you for the advice because it is so true that we do trust the doctors and they are all so amazing with so much experience. I am definitely overthinking the treatment plan because im just worried about all the side affects. frown
His oncologlist doctor is the chief of oncology and his radiation doctor is the chief of the radiology department. We also have him at a great NCCC. We did get a 2nd opinion at another NCCC before my brothers surgery and they also recommended IMRT and Cisplatin. We called the other NCCC after the tumor board meeting on Wednesday but they werent available for 2 weeks and we dont want to wait. He will be starting his radiation/chemo on September 15, 2014.

22 YO Brother Dx 6/17/14 w. SCC R Lateral tongue
CT scan clear LN 6/20/14
HPV-, non-smoker
R tongue, right hemiglossectomy Surgery 6/24/14
(Not reoccurrence but went to NCCC instead
R neck dissection, tracheostomy, radial free flap, R tongue dissection surg 8/11/14
PT1N2B.3 positive lymph nodes out of 13
Extranodal extension present
9-15-14 IMRT (35x) & Cisplatin (2x) begun
10-21-14 peg in. 10-31-14 1 round of carboplatin
11-4-14 IMRT rx comp
3-27-15 Recurrent tumor in lymph node, L neck diss.
10-29-15 brother passed away, 23 yrs old