[quote=Uptown][quote=ak123] Hi uptown- they removed the feeding tube because he can now eat on his own. He just did the big surgery on 8/11 wouldn't it be too soon to do radiation? I worried about it getting close to the lungs too. They did remove them. Does that make a difference? [/quote]

I wasn't sure for your post which node the doctor felt would be cancerous versus the 2 the doctor was surprised about after pathology. The other 2 would indicate to me they didn't show up on any scans. That would make me suspicious of others and I would think radiation would be necessary.

Once squamous cell carcinoma gets a good blood supply, i.e lungs, it takes off. That's why I would want the most effective treatment available, which is chemoradiation.

As far as how quick after surgery, it depends on how extensive the surgery was. [/quote]

Hi Uptown,
All three did not show up on the ct-scans. During the surgery the doctor suspected one (not sure which one) and that one came out postive. Then 2 more were positive. I think they might recommend chemo-radiation. He told us that when he suspected one (we should do radiation) but iif there is more he might need chemo-radiation. He wanted to talk to the whole tumor board team re: the pathology report. We are meeting with the doctor on Thursday. Which chemo do you recommend?

22 YO Brother Dx 6/17/14 w. SCC R Lateral tongue
CT scan clear LN 6/20/14
HPV-, non-smoker
R tongue, right hemiglossectomy Surgery 6/24/14
(Not reoccurrence but went to NCCC instead
R neck dissection, tracheostomy, radial free flap, R tongue dissection surg 8/11/14
PT1N2B.3 positive lymph nodes out of 13
Extranodal extension present
9-15-14 IMRT (35x) & Cisplatin (2x) begun
10-21-14 peg in. 10-31-14 1 round of carboplatin
11-4-14 IMRT rx comp
3-27-15 Recurrent tumor in lymph node, L neck diss.
10-29-15 brother passed away, 23 yrs old