Patients on cisplatin normally will not lose their hair, not sure about with Erbitux (or if its mixed with another type of chemo). Radiation will cause a small spot (about the size of a quarter) of hair loss somewhere on the back of the head. Its not usually noticeable and is only temporary.

I think cisplatin is the most effective type of chemo for OC. Try to opt for weekly smaller doses instead of the 3 'big bag' method of whichever your brother gets. Smaller doses are much easier to tolerate than the larger ones. Many of us with cisplatin only received the first 2 'big bag' doses as we were too sick for the third round of chemo.

As with anything these things come with warnings. No matter which chemo is used make sure to take in extra water to flush it out of the kidneys. This is especially important with cisplatin. Hearing loss can also occur. From what Ive seen discussed, with Erbitux, the more of a rash the patient gets the better the chemo is working. Friend who have had this type tell me it itches like crazy.

Remember this all is only temporary. Rashes heal and hair grows back. If experiencing hearing loss and kidney damage, those are permanent. But also as I stated earlier, less likely with the smaller weekly doses.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma