Cheryl, the general feeling is that the trial isn't working, so surgery at this point is not going to achieve anything. Besides, the protocol for any trial is very stringent and doctors cannot do anything outside what is mandated and that includes surgery because it will confuse the outcome. The cancer is terminal and the senior medical oncologist was very clear about the fact that anything done at this point, including the trial, is palliative.

Tammy, yes, I do think it is time to adjust the sails. It is a motto I have been living by for the last eight months or so.

I thank everybody who has posted for their kindness and support. You indeed feel like family to me.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.