Hello Gloria,
I have read a few articles on this immunotherapy treatment for cancers in the last few weeks. None of them were for Head and neck cancers so I am really thrilled to see that this has been offered to John. I, personally want to thank you both. This is pioneer stuff and I am sure we will all benefit from this. There do seem to have been remarkable results to date with other cancers.
From the articles I have read it is about" training the body's own immune system to kill the cancer cells. This involves genetically engineering immune T-cells to target and kill cancer cells while leaving the healthy cells unscathed. This can be done by engineering the patients own T-cells so that they have new genes that make new receptors to bind to the cancer peptide. The T-cells home in on and destroy all cells that contain that peptide. The second method is by producing artificial T-cell receptors that are primed to recognise a cancer peptide . These receptors contain features that enable them to kill cancer cells once they have bound to them".
I sincerely hope that John does get good results from this immunotherapy. We will all be watching for your updates.
I too found talking to a therapist helped me greatly.
Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!