Tammy, I believe in John's case it is the second option that you described. In my reading I have not come across trials involving head and neck patients either. I agree that it is pioneer stuff and our medical oncologist actually said it is a hot topic in cancer treatment right now. I hope, too, that John will reap some of the benefits. I also hope that the trials will eventually point to new treatments for other cancer patients. I would also like to say that your knowledge of the subject is amazing smile

Mary4000, I know that Bristol Meyers Squibb has been running trials. John's drug sponsor is Astra Zeneca. I think the American Cancer Society has a page on what trials are available and what phase the trials are at.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.