Hello again. How did your day go?
When we were given the treatment plan the radiation oncologist specifically said
" the aim of treatment is cure" . That boyed me a lot. Yes ! This was curable. I then felt that we would and could do anything and everything to facilitate that cure.
I set about planning for everything I could think of. I fed Kris up with lots of added calories and managed to put 5 kilos on him before treatment began.
I rang the hospital weekly to ensure all appointments were booked. Chased up the Dental team for the necessary tooth extractions he needed before radiation started. Chased the surgical team for the PEG placement he had to have before they would start radiation. Not to mention the chemo team and the mask making department . Through this period we celebrated Christmas with our family and yes, it was a happy time. I knew the treatment plan was in place and that this was curable. Hang on to that.
You will both get through this.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!