I wrote and deleted a response because it sounded flippant and that is certainly not how I would want to sound. This Saturday I will be at a SPOHNC meeting with a dozen head/neck survivors, no two of which had the same experience. You can read up on the drug they recommend and ask about it here and some will say they had no issues at all while others were forced to change at some point. I think it's universally agreed that radiation sucks.

My experience: I was a 6'2, 205 "elite level athlete" (the docs words not mine) when I started. I declined PEG tube and port for the duration. Figured I would just stop losing weight at 185. I was 185 for 15 minutes on my way to about 160. I worked for 6 of the 8 weeks of treatment and had to stop while on fentanyl for pain. For the life of me I can't remember how I hurt to describe it to you. That's weird...

That was 3 years ago and I weighed 200 even this morning.

I don't know if ones response to chems is predictable. I'm guessing it's not. I had NO side effects from Cisplatin (other than mild hearing loss) but someone will write in a bit that they had lots of issues. Pretty sure that many will tell you to try and put on a few pounds before you start. Once in the fight, food and WATER are what keep you going. Fall behind and you will know it and it is hard to get caught back up.

Dx March 2011 via FNA (49 yrs old)
SCC BoT
HPV+ exact strain unknown
Stage IVa T3N2cM0
Cisplatin x 3, IMRT x 40 (7267 cGy)
One node removed post-treatment (rad dmg)
Clean PET 10/28/11
Swallow therapy