James, your recovery sounds like you are doing very well. I know the timing can never happen quickly enough for most patients. But you really are doing great!

Im glad you tried the chocolate peanut butter milk shakes and were able to gain back a few pounds. They arent the healthiest with alot of fat in there with the whole milk and ice cream, but they are high in protein and gets you some nutrients with the carnation instant breakfast. I really liked them, they felt soothing on my sore throat.

Congrats on the upcoming PEG removal. That is one big accomplishment! So is returning to work.

After everything your body has been thru, it can take 2 years to make a complete recovery. Thats not to say for the whole 2 years you will feel lousy. Just that you could see improvements in your sense of taste here and there up to about the 2 year post rads mark. Also, Ive been told by doctors it takes one month of recovery for every week of radiation. Give yourself some credit, you are making fantastic progress!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma