Hi James,

First off, give yourself a big pat on the back for coming this far! You're doing just fine from what you said. I know how you feel having been there myself just a few short months ago. The days and weeks post treatment are like a bad dream you cannot awaken from. It seems as if you're not making progress.

I assure you that you are! Like you, my neck reddened but did not start peeling and blistering until I was home. I had used Special Care Cream all throughout treatment and continued use through the peel and blister stage helped it heal.

The mouth pain was excruciating for a good month and again, the standard remedies, Magic Mouthwash, baking soda/salt. glutamine rinses helped and yes, pain meds. I'm finally weaning off of them 3 months post treatment having been on narcotics since December of last year.

I was unable to eat from about two weeks before treatment ended until 4 weeks post Tx. I got my PEG two hours after I rang the bell and other than water, took nothing by mouth for 4 weeks. Then, one day, I had one soft scrambled egg and I was off and running on eating. Now, three months out, I can eat most things albeit with lots of water.

It's been said, and hard to see under the circumstances, but progress is measured in weeks and months as opposed to days. I personally still have a long way to go but when I look at it from the big picture, I'm light years ahead of where I was two months ago.

Hang in there James.... it will get better!

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

Cardiac bypass 11/07
Cardiac stents 10/2012
Dx'd 11/30/2012 Tx N2b MO Stage IV HPV+
Palatine Tonsillectomy/Biopsies 12-21-12
Selective Neck Dissection/Lingual Tonsillectomy/biopsies TORS 2/7/13
Emergency Surgery/Bleeding 2/18/13
3/13/2013 30rads/6chemo
Finished Tx 4/24/13
NED Since