This SO brings back memories of my son and what a difficult time he had with eating and drinking. It is really important to get the right amount of calories and water. If he gets dehydrated that could get really serious. My son had the same experience as Shawn's above, He found he could the sensation of taste by smelling the food. He didn't want the PEG either and there's a lot of information on both sides of the issue if you do a search in the search box upper left. Maybe if you print out the Peg info from posters comments, and let your husband see them, he feel more in control of whether he wants to consider a PEG or tough it out with getting the proper nutrition and hydration. After pleading with my son and doing everything I could to try different foods and only having him get angry with me, I finally followed the advice of someone who told me to "Put my nurse from hell hat on". So I got my courage up and in my most threatening voice I told him that if he didn't start eating right away, I would call my daughter (a policy officer with a gun) to come over and we would both get him into the car and take him to the hospital for a peg and some tube feeding! And that's what did it for him! He's been a cancer-free survivor for 7+ years! Does your husband use the Magic Mouthwash that dulls the mouth pain for a little bit so he can get some food down? That did help my son and a lot of people here. Sometimes you have to try a lot of things before you find something that works. Reactions to what works can change from day to day.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)