I could really use some advice. My husband is being treated for tonsil cancer with radiation and cisplatin. Chemo was two weeks ago, and he has just completed his second week of radiation. During this time, he has maybe had two days that he consumed even close to a normal amount of calories. He does not want a peg, but he sure seems headed that way. Yesterday, he had a Carnation instant breakfast, half a can of soup, and maybe two bites of other food. He's had some nausea, but mostly just a full feeling or else everything tastes like goopy sand. I've been trying to fix every kind of food he mentions he might like, but he takes two bites and can't eat anymore. He just gets mad if I try to encourage him, but I'm so afraid he's going to end up in the hospital or impair his recovery. Does anyone have any advice on how I can stimulate his appetite or how I can encourage him to eat without making him mad? What has worked for you?

Wife/Caregiver
6/5 ENT visit
6/11 FNA biopsy on lymph node
6/13 DX T2N2b stage 4 SCC on right tonsil metastasis to lymph nodes on right side
7/8 first chemo using Cetuximab
8/20 radiation oncologist initial visit
8/21 dental clearance
Cisplatin and Radiation starting Sept 9
2nd Cisplatin Oct 1
Radiation completed 10/24