Callygirl - The Magic Mouthwash is a prescription and the ingredients may vary but it is very effective in numbing the sores inside the mouth long enough to be able to drink or swallow. Ask the doctor about this. My son used it and it was very effective. . . altho' after a while when it quit working, there was an over-the-counter type that the pharmacist recommended that also worked and later he went back to the Magic Mouthwash prescription. Always make sure the doctors know everything that goes in your brother's body (and comes out, too). I might be helpful to make up a spreadsheet with all his meds, how often and how much so that he knows when they are due. Having the doctors' names and numbers on the sheet makes it more convenient to call when needed. Whoever goes to the appointments with your brother can take along the spreadsheet to make it easier to answer the doctor's questions. My son lost a lot of weight too, about 20 lbs but it could be more because towards the end of Tx he was very secretive about how much weight he was losing. You have gotten such good suggestions above. . . maybe you could print these out and leave them with your parents and your brother to look at when you are not able to be there. It's so great that your brother has you and your parents to help him through this tough time. You are a great caregiver and I'm sure your parents appreciate all that you do!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)