Hi Josee, I am pretty much a newbie also. I was diagnosed with SCC in the tonsil end of Mar 12. Had the tonsils removed. SCC metastasized to the L lymph nodes (PET had a light show). MY cancer center the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center will provide my treatment to beat cancer. I had 4 morals removed yesterday. I get my PEG next Tuesday. I get my mask fitted and do a rad simulation next Monday. I get a port installed on 10 May. I start rad/chemo 21 May.

I agreed with my team of providers I will need a PEG. For me hopefully it will be a back-up. I had some difficulties post-op and bled, a lot. Two times went back to ER. Last time was a charm. Dr. cauterized the bleeder but those two weeks were a noted challenge to eat or drink. Eating and drinking is required to live, so for me deciding to install a PEG was easy. I will muscle down whatever I can thru the mouth, but if I cannot, I got my backup already to go.

Most of my Dr's said the issues come up when a patient thinks they will be able to eat/drink but don't or cannot (but don't have the PEG already). I'm just preparing for the worst.

As I mentioned, I'm new to this, but a PEG might make thinks more tolerable.

Sincerely,

Ken

48YO M, hlthy, xsmkr(quit 14yrs ago), mod drinkr
1 mo sore throat w/neck lump 3/12
SCC tonsil, lym nodes
4/12/12 rad tonslctmy, mets in lymph nodes
5/8 PEG, 5/10 PORT 7/3/12 Last Chemo (Cisplatin)| 7/10/12 Last RAD | 9/6/12 MRI=No New Cancer
BSA Scout Ldr w/strng desire to live & beat cancer