Welcome to OCF, Josee! Im very glad you have found this forum to get some good advice from.

The cisplatin is known to cause hearing problems. Im glad you have notified the doctor about this. Do NOT allow them to give him a third dose! The hearing loss is permanent!

Losing 32 pounds is alot. We all have struggled getting thru chemo/rads, some more than others. Nutrition is the one thing that is controllable. The better he does with nutrition the easier it will be for him to get thru this. He must have 2500 calories and 48 oz of water every single day, at the minimum, more is going to help him even better. This is something I cant stress enough! It is not an option but a necessity! I know its not easy but if he has lost that much weight then whats going on is NOT working and needs to be corrected right away. I ended up being hospitalized for malnutrition and dehydration and I felt like I was dying so I am speaking from experience. Try ordering some Carnation Very High Calorie from Amazon. Use the link in the green box on the main forum pages so it helps OCF to keep helping others. Carnation VHC has 560 calories and will make it so much easier to meet his daily goals by drinking 5 per day, even better would be 6 or 7 to help build him back up alittle.

Im not sure what you mean by nausea caused by dead tumor cells. Cisplatin causes nausea. There are many meds out there that can help control this. I still take Zofran occasionally for nausea issues. If worse comes to worse there are even anti-nausea meds that come in suppository form. A feeding tube is not a bad idea. Ive seen many patients think they can do it without one only to end up getting en emergency one put in. There is also a nasal tube for a more temporary tool. Nobody wants a feeding tube but he MUST get proper nutrition or things will get much worse than they are now. Unfortunately as time goes on things get more difficult but with proper nutrition and hydration he will get thru it so much easier. If he cant drink enough water daily, tell the doc and nurses and ask for hydration. He will feel like a new man when he gets hydrated.

Please feel free to ask questions. We will help get you both thru this. Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma