Hi,
Yes, sign me up for the list of people who are not satisfied with the side effects of cancer treament. One thing that helped me along was the chance to get to peruse a book called, "Explain Pain". It is an expensive book with great art work that my physical therapist had, and let me check out for weeks! From reading it I became convinced that our perception of pain was at least part of the difference in whether or not we experience pain. I cannot go into all of it with you here now (could not adequately express the content) and it is true most of us, myself included, just want a pill, or some kind of easy fix for how we feel.

An example: I know I feel like my neck is swollen even when it does not look that way to others. In fact any swelling that is there is not much. One of the PT's suggestion was to touch my neck periodically to reassure my brain that my neck is normal sized. Maybe no one else experiences this, but this perceived swelling gives rise to other unpleasant symptoms for me.

Part of it is accepting what our new normal is, like it or not. Our old normal was something that our brains were accustomed to. It is a pity that medical personel are not better trained to address this giant adjustment that we have to make.

It is great that you are 6 years away from your treatment though.
Best,
Anne

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021