good luck.

It sounds like you have faith in your docs and they are very proactive. It also sounds like you are in good spirits which goes a long way towards recovery.

The idea of doing chemotherapy after the IMRT sounds a little unconventional to me but I am not a doctor. The one thing I suggest though, is wait for the biopsy to make any final decision about chemo. Chemo is no picnic, and I would hate to think you underwent such treatment if the lump you have found was just scar tissue.

My Alex also had treatment a bit outside the standard treatment and it has worked very well which just goes to show that everyone is different and it is good to question the doctors to understand their reasoning, but dangerous to try and second guess them.

Karen
PS No doubt DavidCPA will be around soon to tell you to get the original lump (the cancerous one) tested for HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) You had a base of tongue (BOT) tumour, are very young, and don't smoke (and I assume your don't chew tobacco or betel nut or similar), so this might mean you have a tumour that responds well to treatment and has a better prognosis than some other cancers

Last edited by klo; 02-28-2012 01:13 AM.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight