Hi Joan, You have found the best place for support to get you through those 11 treatments. And, yes, you need to complete them. There are standards of care for treatments which is most likely why your doctor is being persistent. He wants you to have the best opportunity to be cancer free. Unfortunately, radiation treatment is the only thing that kills SC oral cancer.

I am sorry you are suffering and that the treatments are difficult for you to get through. It is an awful process, to be sure. But, sometimes it helps to remember that radiation will do an excellent job in ridding your body of cancer. And, please keep in mind that the treatments WILL end. You will recover. You will have a life. I can't say the same about it if you don't go through treatment.

You are on a marathon of sorts. It is a difficult road, but you won't be on it for very long. If you put your mind to it and gather as much support and assistance you can find to handle the treatments, you will reach the finish line. And, as with any other contest, you can't win if you don't get in the race!

Do you have a feeding tube? If you don't, you might want to consider one. It will help you feel better to keep well nourished and hydrated. Many people on this forum have used a feeding tube. It has helped them get through treatment. It isn't a horrible procedure and can make your life much more pleasant while you are going through treatment.

Perhaps there's something your doctor can do to alleviate your anxiety. Please try to let your mind wander to some other place while you are on the table. Sometimes visualizing something pleasant and concentrating on it can help you tame your fears.

Please remember that you are fortunate to be able to have treatment that can save your life. Some people are not as lucky. It's a tough thing to endure. But, think of it as an accomplishment. You are tougher and stronger than you can imagine. You can do it. And, you'll have people here, on the OCF forum, to help you whenever you need it.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,

Sandy

Ex-spouse MISDIAGNOSED with SCC-HN IVa 12/10. Tonsils out 1/11. 4 teeth out 2/11. TX Erbitux x2, IMRT x2 2/11. 2nd opinion-benign BCC-NOT CANCER 3/11. TX stopped 3/11. New doctors 4/11. ENT agrees with 2nd opinion 5/11. ENT scoped him-all clear 7/11. Ordered MRI anyway. MRI 8/22/11 Result-all clear.