Hi, Everyone.
I guess my PCP is one of the proactive doctors who routinely test all patients yearly. I live in NE and we are especially at risk due to the long winters and cool springs. That being said, I'll quote you on what my sister found out for me...

"Currently, the recommended Vitamin D dose is 600 International Units (IU) adults ages 19 to 70 (which is higher than it used to be). People 71 and older are supposed to get 800 IU a day. I do not believe testing has become a standard in preventative medicine yet. In theory, your provider should be evaluating your health risks and any issues/complaints you may have and order the appropriate labs. You could ask for your levels to be drawn. Pretty much anybody that lives in this area is at risk. With that said, people should not just behave as if they are low and take more than is recommended. Some side effects of high levels have been noted."

Hope that helps!

Kerri

37 y/o fem at Dx (23 wks preg @ dx on 3/16/11)
SCC L oral tongue (no risk factors)
L partial gloss/MND 3/28/11 @ 25 wks preg
T1-2N0M0; no rads/chemo
Tonsillectomy on 8/6/12 +SCC L tonsil T2-3N1M0 (HPV-)
Treated with 35 rads/7 carbo & taxol (Rx ended 10/31/12), but many hospitalizations d/t complications from rx.
Various scans since rx ended are NED!
Part of genetic study for rare cancers @ MGH.
44 years old now...I wasn't sure I would make it! Hoping for 40 more!