David & Christine

You are going to have to ask for Vitamin D tests. Unfortunately CCC and most oncologists still have on 20th century blinders concerning blood work and routine tests. Lucky for me that my cardiologist went back for a post graduate course in the 21st century. He ordered both my thyroid (TSH) blood work and Vitamin D blood tests even before I knew I had cancer. When he was contacted by my CCC to make sure no cardiological issues precluded radiation, chemo or surgery, he stressed to me that in his experience, oncologists ignored Vitamin D and used old 20th century lab values for TSH. Sadly, it turned out to be very true.
My endocrinologist has a blood tests for tested for Vitamin D done every 5 months. She thinks it plays a major part in recovery from radiation and chemo.
Quest Diagnostics form shows it as test # 17306X, Vitamin D,25-Hydroxy. It gives you total D as well as a breakdown of D3 and D2 components
You want ABOVE 30 ng/ML for D total(it's the minimum, the maximum is 100)
My last readings were excellent at 50 ng/Ml for both total and D3. IMO this and the TSH tests should be part of the "standard" panel tests done for cancer follow up
Charm,

Last edited by Charm2017; 10-26-2011 09:24 AM. Reason: deleted TSH test numbers

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13