Hello,

I am a new user of this forum. By way of introduction, I have SCC (lateral tongue). Underwent neck dissection and tongue resection on 5/6/11. Doc called me last Friday about pathology report and indicated that two (of the many that he removed across four stages) lymph nodes showed some positive activity. He said that the good news is that there is no extra capsular spread. Not sure what that means. He believes that I must undergo radiation and possibly even chemo.

I have several questions that are undoubtedly covered on other posts, but I will ask them here just in case.

* How can I determine if I absolutely need radiation and/or chemo?

* I have heard about the side effects of radiation--especially dryness, etc. I read somewhere about a new treatment (TOMO?). Is there anyone in Portland (OR) that offers this kind of service? If not, I could travel to a nearby location that offers this. I want to try to save my salivary glands if possible.

* Any referrals to Radiation and Medical oncologists would be greatly appreciated.

* Any tips or suggestions to prepare in advance for the side-effects of radiation and chemo. I read somewhere that possibly having a Doctor of Naturopathy on the team may be a good thing to cope with the side effects.

Thanks in advance for any tips/inputs.

Best Regards,
Chetan

Chetan
SCC, lateral tongue, age 53, Tongue resection & neck dissection 5/6/11; T1N2BM0, RTX (35 sessions starting 6/8/11)/chemo (3x starting 6/10/11) Last cisplatin 7/22. RTX complete 7/27. PEG in 6/9/11, out 8/31/11