Hi there,

The summary of this post is a question: Can chronic irritation lead to cancer? Has anyone else here had the experience of a long-lasting sore caused by involuntary movement of tongue muscles?

I feel like I'm all alone, fighting the medical establishment to pay attention to me. The path results of last week's surgery lead me to ask if anyone else here has had the same experience.

Here's my story:

Since March 2007 I've had a sore spot on my tongue. It's felt like my tongue was involuntarily rubbing against my back right molars, causing irritation. It was more painful after sleeping, suggesting that my tongue is moving in my sleep, and noticeable after I spent time concentrating on something.

It was biopsied in March 2008, showing only "inflamed tissue." The doctors/surgeons didn't have any suggested treatment for "involuntary tongue movements." They didn't even seem to trust that the cause WAS tongue movement. The whole thing stumped them, so they left me to suffer with chronic tongue pain and irritation for 3 years.

In Oct 2010 I went back, saying I'd had enough with the constant pain in my tongue, and insisting they help. A 10/18 biopsy showed cancer (SCC), and MRI/PETCT scans showed a 2 cm tumor in my tongue. On 11/15/2010 I had a partial glossectomy & neck dissection.

Here's the shocker: there was no cancer to be found anywhere in the tissue removed from my tongue, lymph nodes, or salivary gland. The 2 cm firmness was apparently inflamed tissue and scar tissue. This is apparently unusual, but not unheard of. The surgeon gave 2 possible explanations: either the cancer was so small it was removed with the 2 mm biopsy, or the biopsy stimulated my body's immune system to kill off the remaining cancer. The latter scenario is apparently unlikely for this type of cancer. I asked if such a large mass of inflamed tissue is common for this size cancer, and the doc said No, it's very unusual.

I'm relieved the cancer is gone (hooray!), but also angry.

My own guess for years has been that involuntary tongue movements (esp at night and when I'm concentrating) have led to a spot of chronic soreness and non-healing lesion. Now it seems that this has also led to cancer. And a totally unnecessary neck dissection!

If the doctors had listened to me more, made an effort to address this problem, the whole surgery and experience may have been unnecessary!

Has anyone else heard of such a thing? Did anyone else have an experience of friction --> irritation --> chronic inflammation --> cancer?

Any ideas about doctors who may have experience addressing involuntary tongue movement? I've scoured the internet and not come up with much.

Appreciatively,

Rahel

P.S. For anyone with extra time on their hands, details of yesterday's unfoldings are blogged at blenderninja.

Leukoplakia 3/07, 34y.o. non-smoker/drinker
Biopsy 3/08: clear (no monitoring suggested - grr)
Biopsy 10/18/10: SCC, Stage 2 1.
Surgery 11/15/10: glossectomy R side oral tongue & partial neck dissection. Margins, nodes & salivary gland clear!
Subsequent MRIs/CTs/PETs: All clear!