Welcome to OCF. Right now your mind is spinning and you dont know which way to go. Being a nurse should be helpful IF you have oral cancer. The only way to tell is thru a biopsy. If you have oral cancer then a second or even third opinion would be a good idea. The best place to be treated is at a cancer center. Since you have had symptoms longer than 2 weeks then you may want get things moving along by having the biopsies done.

[quote=fullofquestions]. I know that most mouth lesions are cancerous [/quote]
That is not true.
Historically, it has been difficult to determine which abnormal tissues in the mouth are worthy of concern. The fact is, the average person routinely has conditions existing in their mouths that mimic the appearance of pre-cancerous changes, and very early cancers of the soft tissues. One study determined that the average dentist sees 3-5 patients a day who exhibit soft tissue abnormalities, most of which are benign in nature. Even the simplest things, such as a canker sore (herpes simplex), the wound left by accidentally biting the inside of your cheek, or sore spots from a poorly fitting prosthetic appliance or denture, all at first examination, share similarities with dangerous lesions. Some of these conditions cause physical discomfort, others are painless. The question is which ones deserve action, and which ones bear watching and waiting? ....This info is from the main OCF pages.

This may also be helpful...
http://oralcancerfoundation.org/dental/screening.htm
http://oralcancerfoundation.org/dental/pdf/oral_ulcers.pdf

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus