I had my biopsies yesterday morning-- definitely not fun. Although the radiologist who had gone over the CT scan with my ENT had said the mouth lesion was not in a place where it could be biopsied by FNA, the radiologist actually doing the procedure felt he could get to it. He tried twice but the tissue started bleeding so he could not see it on ultrasound anymore. Between that and the severe pain I was in he stopped trying. If I ever have that done again I will insist on sedation-- local anesthetics only go so far. My sister, a nurse anesthetist in TN, was shocked I wasn't sedated for that. Anyway, he was able to get samples from the lymph node and both sides of the thyroid and those weren't so bad. I went home in severe pain in my mouth, applied ice and took pain pills I had left over from something else, and laid on the couch the rest of the day! Thanks goodness my husband had ignored my claims that he did not need to come with me and I'd be able to drive myself home. We have an appt. to go in 10:30 Tuesday for the results.

Susan
Age 51, married with four kids age 11-18, 9/1/2010, Bx: high grade mucoepidermoid CA left sublingual gland.
10/8/2010, wide excision left floor of mouth, modified radical node dissection left neck.
T1N0M0. IMRT started 11/22.
Never smoked, light social drinker
Also happen to be ICU RN