Brian

Very provocative article. On a personal level, I was relieved to read it and see no mention of any drug, diet, nutrition or exercise program that would have prevented my base of tongue cancer(or any of the OCF family's oral cancers). The news that there were clinically proven preventive medicines for both prostate and breast cancer came as a shocker to me. Equally compelling was the debunking of the diet and nutrition claims that I have railed against here.
At the risk of being cynical, I feel that large Anti-cancer groups like ACS or Komen are just as bad as big pharm in keeping all the research dollars and so called public service ads focused on the twin illusory chimeras of "a CURE" or "diet & exercise". Shame on them for not spreading the word of an affordable and easy medicines proven to reduce the chance of prostate and breast cancer.
There is hope though. Many people see past the American Heart Associations pablum and follow the South Beach Heart program of taking statins daily. The immediate problem is that I did not see any glimmer of a similar preventive breakthrough for oral cancer (except perhaps for Garasil but since I am not HPV positive, that would not have helped me anyway).
Good luck in your talk with the Senator - and thanks for sharing this article.

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13