Angelia, Steve had 3 doses of Cisplatin given over the 7 week treatment period. The first one he had nausea on about day 4 after he received the cisplatin and he slept most of this day. The 2nd cisplatin knocked him around quite a bit more and from about day 4 onwards he had nausea for close to a week and fatigue. 3rd Cisplatin was the same. He did complain about a buzzing in his ears following cisplatin but it went away within a couple of days.

Remember to stay well hydrated. We hooked steve up to bags of water given via his pump and peg, when his nausea was at it's worst and would just run it all day and night while he slept. Took a big load off my mind and gave him the opportunity to sleep. Also his mucous got worse after cisplatin but we noticed if he was well hydrated it didn't seem to be as bad. Hair loss wise his only thinned out. Not noticeable to anyone else but Steve and I. We always found the car ride to treatment after he had cisplatin brought on the nausea worse so I spent my time looking for less bumpy roads. The smoother the journey the better the nausea.

Try not to worry though. Everyone is different. We were expecting Steve to have bad radiation side effects from week 3 to 4 but he didn't have a sore mouth until week 7. The redness on his neck appeared about week 5. One of our radiation therapists told me that she didn't expect Steve to go so well. Because he couldn't talk and was in so much pain when he went for his first treatment she thought for sure he would suffer badly with the treatment, which luckily for him he didn't. He was able to swallow right through treatment and continued to eat icecream and drink apple juice right through as well. You'll get through this and don't forget if it gets hard then just jump on this site and we are all here to help you get through it. Take care of yourself and stay the strong woman I know you are.

Wendy

Wife to Steve 43. DX 5 May 09. T4N2MO SCC tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes & jaw bone
No surgery
Teeth removed 06/07/2009
radiation 13/07/2009 x 7wks
chemo 15/07/2009 x 3 Cisplatin
last TX 28/08/2009
25/11/2009 PET-lymph node activity.
08/01/2010 CT Scan-ALL CLEAR
03/03/2010-Peg removed
01/2013 left side of Jaw removed and replaced with pectoral flap.
23/12/2020 scan show lesion in tongue
01/2021 SCC stage 3 base of tongue diagnosed
01/03/2021 chemotherapy started.