Posted By: Sue G Halfway Through !! - 12-10-2009 04:42 AM
Just a quick update since I'm now officially just past the halfway mark of my treatment!! Yeeha!!! So far, so good. Since the left side of my jaw and neck had already received maximum dosage, I was expecting a far worse reaction than I am having. Despite twice a day RT and weekly chemo I don't think I'm any worse than I was in about week 4 last time. My mouth is a warzone, lots of radiation ulcers but with the help of lignocaine and cocaine mouthwash I am still eating and have not had to get a naso-gastric tube or PEG! I feel confident now that I get through the next week and a half in the same fashion. Even my skin is holding up well - no blisters or sore spots.
Staying in hospital while having the TX has also been great. I get foot massages, manicures and hairdressing by some of the wonderful volunteers here. I have nothing but good things to say about this second time around treatment - so far.
I haven't had time yet to catch up on other posts and hope to do so tonight. I'm now off to my 2nd RT for the day.
I hope that everyone else in treatment is doing as well!!

(((Sue)))
Posted By: Cookey Re: Halfway Through !! - 12-10-2009 07:41 AM
Thats brilliant news Sue,well done.xxxx
Posted By: WendyG Re: Halfway Through !! - 12-10-2009 10:58 AM
Great news Sue

Wendy
Posted By: Eileen Re: Halfway Through !! - 12-10-2009 06:16 PM
That's amazing. Hope you have smooth sailing the rest of the way.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Gabe Re: Halfway Through !! - 12-10-2009 10:21 PM
Glad to see you are doing so well Sue.
Hopefully the rest of your treatment will continue in the same way.
Sounds like it is an advantage to get the treatments done as an in patient especially with the added bonus of a little pampering wink
Posted By: tristeve Re: Halfway Through !! - 12-11-2009 03:10 PM
Keep it up Sue, you will cross the finish line soon!

Steve
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Halfway Through !! - 12-12-2009 02:34 AM
Sue,

I'm so happy to hear that you are doing well. You are a true trooper.
Posted By: Marlene41 Re: Halfway Through !! - 12-12-2009 03:45 AM
Sue,
How wonderful that you have pampering to offset some of the bad stuff that goes along with treatments. Good luck with the rest.

(((Marlene)))

Posted By: walknlite Re: Halfway Through !! - 12-13-2009 03:11 AM
So glad to read that you are doing so well. I hope that it continues to go that way. Keep us posted.
Posted By: homershoney Re: Halfway Through !! - 12-15-2009 07:16 AM
soo glad that u are doing so well in your treatments. gives my hubby alot of hope!!
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: Halfway Through !! - 12-15-2009 10:29 PM
Well done and keep up the good fight. Semper-Fi Bob
Posted By: tristeve Re: Halfway Through !! - 12-16-2009 03:41 PM
the finish line is not far away!

Steve
Posted By: William1949 Re: Halfway Through !! - 12-16-2009 08:25 PM
Good for you and best of luck to the finish line. Your journey thus far sounds remarkably smooth.
Posted By: EricS Re: Halfway Through !! - 12-16-2009 08:35 PM
Sue, you truly are an inspiration my lady...keep showing who's boss!
Posted By: Sue G Re: Halfway Through !! - 12-19-2009 12:00 AM
Thanks for the great support and encouragement!

It really helps to keep you on track knowing that this forum is here and full of people who understand the ups and downs of this disease.

I had my last chemotherapy on Friday, it was delayed for 3 days because I had a fever and they couldn't track down the source of it. Eventually it was decided to proceed anyway because of the aggressiveness of my disease. I still have another 3 RT TXs to do on Monday and Tuesday.

My RO called me the day before my treatment started and told me that they were changing my treatment schedule slightly to nine RT sessions a week. What I didn't get told was that the 3 lost treatments would be tacked onto the end. I found that out at the end of my second week that my last treatment will be on the 22nd December. I was a bit depressed about this initially but it is so close that it doesn't matter now.

I also got a naso-gastric tube early last week. I think that occured because my tongue is also being treated this time that has made it impossible to eat and drink, mostly because of pain, but also because of taste. My taste buds being fried has resulted in everything tasting putrid. I don't know how long I will have to use it but I'm sure I'll have it for at least a few weeks when I go home.

Other than for the mucositis, fried taste buds and sore throat I am doing well. My skin still hasn't broken or blistered, so I might stay lucky there with only 3 RTs to go! Overall I'm in better physical shape than last time so I can't see any reason, barring another fever, that I won't be discharged on Tuesday. I can't wait!

Wishing you all a very Happy Chistmas.

Sue
Posted By: walknlite Re: Halfway Through !! - 12-19-2009 03:22 AM
So glad you are doing as well as your are. I know what you mean about the tongue and foods tasting putrid. My tongue is being treated as well, and foods taste nasty. I still have not used my PEG, but I do believe I will in the next few days as I can no longer stand the taste of Boost or Ensure and swallowing liquids is pure torture. Anyway, good luck and I hope you get to go home on Tuesday.
Posted By: Sue G Re: Halfway Through !! - 01-18-2010 09:10 AM
Hello All,

Just a quick note to say that I finished treatments on the 22nd December and was released from hospital that day. It was great to get home but I did have a tough time up until about a week ago. I still have a naso-gastric tube and have been using that for all nourishment. I am now able to drink water, but my mouth is still in a poor state so I think it will be a couple more weeks until I'm on even a soft diet.

I feel stronger everyday and am getting into a fairly normal sleep pattern. Up until lat week I think I slept, or was in a twilight zone, 75% of the time. My speech is also improving - thick mucous either stopped me talking or dry mouth would.

This time around has definately been more challenging, with a raft of symptoms I never got first time around. I had sticky mucous first time around.....but I had no idea how bad it could get. I swear some of the stuff I was bringing up you could cut with scissors and was rubber band like...UGH. When does that stop??? It seems to be getting better, but it has to be the single biggest annoyance I have.

And PEGS...while I didn't get one I will never be critical of anyone who goes that path. I have vomited up my naso-gastric tube (at home) and had to go into the hospital on New Year's Day to have another fitted and then checked via x-ray that it was in the right spot. Not enjoyable at all!

Anyway that's about it, if any has to be re-radiated I'm happy to answer any questions. It just feels good to finally coming out of that dark tunnel....

Thanks for all the support!

Sue
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Halfway Through !! - 01-18-2010 02:22 PM
Congrats!!!!
Posted By: EricS Re: Halfway Through !! - 01-18-2010 04:45 PM
Sue, you are a trooper! Way to get through treatment!
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Halfway Through !! - 01-18-2010 10:49 PM
Sue,

Welcome back after the tunnel.

Hopefully every day now, will be better than the day before.
Posted By: Gabe Re: Halfway Through !! - 01-18-2010 11:00 PM
Good to see you post an update Sue. May you continue to improve with every day.
Gabriele
Posted By: homershoney Re: Halfway Through !! - 01-19-2010 03:52 AM
glad to see u made it thru! u started the same day as andy. keep us posted on ur recovery!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum