Posted By: Daniel Bogan Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 05:40 PM
Hello All,

Just got home from my chemo session and getting the results of my scans.
I wish I had good news to report but the scans shows a reccurance of a 3.3cm tumor on the right tonsil. This is a new tumor since the last scans in December.
There are no options other than changing the chemo drugs and try and slow it down. The new drugs are Cytoxan (t) and Taxotere. The Cytoxan
will be inputted every three weeks and the Taxotere will be two weeks on and two weeks off.

At some point I will be unable to eat or drink. It may be six months , a year or god only knows.

I have more to add but I'm kind of in shock even though I knew deep in my heart something was changing in my throat.

I also wanted to Thank all the members who emailed me and posted words of support. It meant more to me than I can express in a email. I've made so many friends on this site that I can never forget them. It really is a tight band of brothers!!! I love each and every one of you.

Danny Boy
Posted By: Carol L Re: Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 05:55 PM
Hi Danny Boy, I love you dearly and am here for you. I will pray that the new chemo drug kills the tumor. God Bless, Love, Carol
Posted By: aussieh Re: Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 06:13 PM
Dear Danny

You and your family are in my heart. I'm hoping the change of drugs will help you.

Love and light from Helen
Posted By: Barb Re: Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 06:25 PM
Oh Danny I was praying so hard for a good report. Well I will just keep praying then. Know that you are loved and surrounded by Angels where ever you go.
Praying for you and lighting the candle of Gods gift of peace and understanding that exceeds human comprehension,
Barbara~
Posted By: didier Re: Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 06:31 PM
Ah, Danny. Sh*t. Sorry, I don't know what else to say...I send you all of my love, buddy. Let me know if there's anything I can do. You're in my thoughts.
Dave
Posted By: Karenmm Re: Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 06:33 PM
Danny,
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please stay strong.
Posted By: Robin Re: Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 06:36 PM
Dear Danny:

I'm fairly new to the board - just gathering info for my sister who is going through all this. I just wanted you to know that I've been amazed as I read through various posts at how willing you are to share info and how much you lift up other people on this board. You are truly an inspiration to me that no matter what you're going through, you can still be so willing to help others! I'm so, so sorry that the news wasn't better from your scans. I've been praying for you and will continue to keep you in my prayers.
Posted By: helen.c Re: Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 06:37 PM
Danny Boy
Go for it big time, never regret that you never tried..
Sunshine...love and hugs
Helen
Posted By: ChuckF Re: Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 06:44 PM
Danny,
I've been sitting here for a half hour trying to think of something to say, and I'm just stunned. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how much I hate this damned disease!
You and your family will be in our prayers. Here's hoping the new drugs will be more effective.

Love ya Danny!

Chuck
Posted By: Marica Re: Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 07:18 PM
Oh Danny.. my heart bleeds for you and your family, you have been through so much.
I know it`s hard Danny but please try to keep that good, positive ,
" I`m going to beat this Bastard of a disease " attitude that you have always had.
You are so important to each and every one of your friends here and we love you!
Marica
Posted By: VRB Re: Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 09:18 PM
Dear Danny,
Your news was so sad for me to hear. You have been so good and kind when I have written emails asking questions for my husband Doug. I will be sure to include you in my prayers and I know that you will beat this!!! You have such a great attitude.
Love to you
Virginia
Posted By: lowanneb Re: Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 10:28 PM
Hey Danny

Your recurrence is the pits. Maybe there is something in the Wisconsin air that is slowing down the progress of the chemo drugs. Jack is sure the carboplatin and taxol aren't working for him either. He's trying to talk the oncologist into a scan before the series is finished. He feels a bigger mass in his neck after 2 months of treatment when it should be smaller. It's encouraging that there is another set of drugs to try.

Our hope is that the FDA will approve Erbitux for head and neck cancer before it is too late for him. The reading we have done makes it sound the most promising. Right now he would have to find a trial that would take him in order to get it. I wonder if he would be strong enough to travel any distance for the treatment.

Keep hanging in there. You have kept up the spirits of so many. Know that we're all thinking of you and praying.

Lowanne
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 11:20 PM
Danny,

Wow...there is no justice when it comes to this horrible disease. You, of all people, know this.

Since joining this wonderful "club" I have been amazed with your wonderful and caring advice. I pray that you will again beat the odds and will continue to share your expertise with the members of the OCF for many years to come.

Jerry
Posted By: bellarte Re: Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 11:48 PM
Danny Boy:
It's odd how we come to feel so close to folks in here who we haven't met in person. There's a spirit which connnects us and I have seen it so many times in your informative, thoughtful, encouraging and loving posts. You have been such a source of inspiration and strength. Now it's your turn to draw that from the rest of us. May you find the strength to live each day with a bit of joy and the courage to find peace in the midst of battle. Dad and I celebrated his last IMRT treatment with 9 holes today. He's tired and sore, but he wanted to go on. Reminds me of you. Ciao, Tina
Posted By: Nelie Re: Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 11:48 PM
Danny, I'm so sorry to hear that was the news you got. You're in my warmest and most loving thoughts and prayers.

Nelie
Posted By: TFox Re: Scan Results in - 07-05-2005 11:54 PM
Man oh man>>> Im here with a recurrence after 14 years...
keep kicking every day is a new one! My prayers are with you.
Tim
Posted By: Tim Re: Scan Results in - 07-06-2005 12:02 AM
Danny I am so sorry to hear this news. I am sure though, with a bit of time, you will again be showing your unbelievable spirit and this too shall succumb to its power.

Tim
Posted By: nancyt Re: Scan Results in - 07-06-2005 06:28 AM
Danny,

Oh how I wish I had the right words to say or the magic to rid everyone of this horrendous, unforgiving beast but unfortunately I don't. I can't tell you how sorry I am to read your news. It just doesn't seem fair that such bad things happen to such great people. BUT, with your fighting, positive attitude (you're one tough dude!) and the loving support of family and us here on the forum, you'll get through this once again. Try to keep your spirits up and keep fighting! We're here for you, Danny.

Many hugs, Nancy
Posted By: gillijl Re: Scan Results in - 07-06-2005 09:49 AM
I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am to hear this news. We are truly a family and you are a dear brother. Thank you for all the support in the past and we will be here to help you fight in any way we can.

Jennifer
Posted By: Karenmm Re: Scan Results in - 07-06-2005 04:14 PM
Danny, When u feel up to it i hope u will post more on here. I am just curous as to why they cant do any surgery? And i know one can only have so much radiation. But do u have faith in your doctors. I am sorry i just want to make sure you have looked at all your options. Which i am sure u have. Please stay strong and fight.
Posted By: Robin Re: Scan Results in - 07-06-2005 06:31 PM
Danny: I'm sure today was even rougher than yesterday for you. Please know that we all are thinking of you!
Posted By: JAM Re: Scan Results in - 07-06-2005 09:04 PM
Everyone above has pretty much summed up what I want to say, so I'll just add that you are truly a special guy and my prayers are added to those above. Amy
Posted By: DanielleO Re: Scan Results in - 07-07-2005 01:38 AM
Danny,

Sending you a great big hug and many many prayers. Is there no option for surgery? I remember talking to my moms ENT about treatment options after maximum radiation and he said the only option would be surgery. Please know there are many of us thinking of you everyday.

Hugs,
Dani
Posted By: oceanangel Re: Scan Results in - 07-07-2005 02:06 AM
So sorry to hear that your fears are confirmed. May God bless you and may your doctors be the best that they can be. Love and good thoughts to you.
Posted By: wilma Re: Scan Results in - 07-07-2005 03:54 AM
Danny/so sorry to hear about your results,god bless you and your family,i know i havent been on the board long and dont have my own results but you all on here have been here for me...just want you to know that yous are in my prayers and thoughts.....love and hugs.....
Posted By: John N Re: Scan Results in - 07-07-2005 04:08 PM
Danny
Really sorry to hear of your news. But I know if anyone can endear this it is you. Keep up the spirit and strenght and good luck.
Posted By: JAM Re: Scan Results in - 07-07-2005 11:08 PM
Danny, not long ago you wrote in a post that you wondered if you would become one of the forgotten souls who had fought this battle. I want to share this with you. I have a music box merry go round that I turn on when it's my 15 mo. old granddaughter's bedtime.It plays 25 songs. "Danny Boy" is one of them. While I was rocking her to sleep tonite, it played and there you were with us. I will never hear that song again that I don't think of you and the gifts of life you have shared with the rest of us. I promise. Amy
Posted By: mellay Re: Scan Results in - 07-09-2005 02:39 PM
Danny,

I'm so sorry to hear your news. I will continue to pray for you.

Melissa
Posted By: doreen Re: Scan Results in - 07-11-2005 12:39 AM
Danny,
I am so sorry to hear your news. I am relatively new to the site, but you have made such an impression on me. You will be in my thoughts and I wish you only peace and hope.
Doreen
Posted By: little p Re: Scan Results in - 07-11-2005 08:11 AM
Danny,

Your in my prayers! God bless! Maureen
Posted By: Fran B. Re: Scan Results in - 07-11-2005 06:51 PM
Hi Danny; Just in from holidays and read your news. Rats! There is always another battle to fight isn't there. God should be getting to know that we do get overwhelmed at times.
As you have shared so generously with all of us, let us carry you a little way with positive thoughts and sincere prayers to our higher power.
We're riding this one along with you friend.
Fran B.
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: Scan Results in - 07-11-2005 08:14 PM
Thank you all for your support and love to me over my scan results. So many emails and messages
have given me a sense of a safe harbor in the night. I was down all week and weekend and I hated the feeling. I went back and read your postings and it was a real pick me upper.
I will continue to fight this basterd of a diaease until I can't or win.
Had my second session on the new chemo drugs and met some new people just starting. By the time I left I had made three new friends. On thy way to the hospital I was driving my Mini Cooper and looked out and said what a beautiful day it is.
Had to remind myself to live in the moment and not dwell on what I can't control. Live for the moment!! Funny how we have to remind ourselves to do that. Many of you have taught me that. I just need a kick in the hinder once in awhile.

The doctor upped my anti-depressants from 50mg to 100 mg. I'm taking Zoloft once per day.

Thanks again for all the support, It means so much to me at this time.

Love ya, Danny Boy
Posted By: karenng Re: Scan Results in - 07-11-2005 08:28 PM
Hi Danny Boy,
Words just can't express how I felt when hearing your recurrence. With so many nice people supporting you around the world, you are never lonely in this cruel battle. Keep up your usual spirit and fight!

Karen
Posted By: Barb Re: Scan Results in - 07-11-2005 09:52 PM
I just PMd you and now I see it worked already. LOL Glad to see you back in the sunshine under the rainbows and out of the clouds.

Fight with all your might!
Don't forget to pray today,
Barbara~
Posted By: Marcy Re: Scan Results in - 07-12-2005 09:12 PM
Danny boy,

I haven't been to this site for awhile although I often wonder how you are doing. I felt so bad when I read your post. You have tried so hard and done so much for so many people. I wish I could take away your pain, I truly do.
I am thinking of you and praying for you to feel comfort and peace.

Love Michelle
Posted By: Eileen Re: Scan Results in - 07-12-2005 10:03 PM
Hi Danny,
Guess I never should go on vacation. This is twice that I have come back only to find that you got 'bad news'. You got to keep fighting this. They come up with new treatments every day so hang in there and keep on top of your drs. Make certain they are consulting with MDA to get you the best possible treatment. Do NOT let depression take you over the hill. You have given so much to everyone on this board and I am certain to everyone that you have met at your treatment center, that everyone will try to help you.

And as someone else said today, which I meant to say to Michael, 'pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again.

Could you give us more specifics on exactly what the CT showed this time. Several people have asked why you cannot have more surgery, but you have not answered that question. You may have a year ago but I do not remember the answer.

I am hoping your new treatment works for you. Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Take care,
Eileen
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum