Posted By: TomK PET scan results - 12-07-2007 02:28 PM
I met with the ENT on Tuesday, Dec 4th, and discussed the two uptake spots found on the PET scan done on Nov 20th. My radiation ended on Aug 23, so it has been just over 3 months that I had the PET scan. They said the spot on my neck was to small to worry about now. The uptake on the side of my tongue felt a little hard, so he wanted to get me on the operating table and take a biopsy to clarify if it was scar or healing tissue, or residual cancer. I am scheduled to go on Dec 20th. He said there is a 50/50 chance it could be either way, and just wanted to make sure. He didn't seem overly worried that it was cancer, which I guess I could take as a good sign. He did do a really thourogh job of feeling around my neck and tongue. And so I wait again.

Thank you all for your support and please keep me in your prayers.

Tom
Posted By: Carol L Re: PET scan results - 12-07-2007 05:19 PM
Tom, I will certainly keep you in my prayers...God Bless, Carol
Posted By: emmylou1951 Re: PET scan results - 12-07-2007 09:19 PM
Tom: Prayers you got! Hoping and praying for the very best outcome....

Lois & Buzz in NC
Posted By: Stoj Re: PET scan results - 12-07-2007 10:20 PM
try to stay positive while you wait and me and my family will pray for you

Tim
Posted By: EzJim Re: PET scan results - 12-07-2007 11:18 PM
Tom I had a PetScan today and have 2 cd's they made me to send to the James Cancer Center at Ohio State. MY Dr felt my tongue and felt a hard spot too. I wish oyu luck with your resulta and I hope I get some good news after I mail them the CDs. They did my tongue and lungs.
Posted By: JeffL Re: PET scan results - 12-07-2007 11:43 PM
Tom & Jim --

If you do a search on the forums for PET Scan results, you will find lots of discussions of false positives and the impact of radiation and surgery on PET images.

I went through the same thing in October, with some lymph nodes that showed activity. I was 2.5 months out from treatment at the time. Both the ENT\Surgeon (same doctor as EZJim has) and the RO said not to worry. Easier said than done.

I had my follow up PET scan on Tuesday, and go for the results and a follow up on Monday. Keep us all posted here, and hopefully all 3 of us will have good outcomes!
Posted By: TomK Re: PET scan results - 12-08-2007 09:51 PM
Thank you all for your prayers and support. Jeff, I did what you said and stopped pressing on my lymph nodes, and actually all the swelling has disappeared on my neck in the past couple of weeks.

That would sure end the year on a good note with everyone having good outcomes from the PET scans.

I meet with my chemo Dr next Thursday and my radiation Dr on Friday. Then the following week on the 20th I get the biopsy.

I will keep you all posted.

Thanks,
Tom
Posted By: Bailey4 Re: PET scan results - 12-08-2007 11:08 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you.....it is such a scary thing to go thru. Sure hoping for scar tissue.
Posted By: TomK Re: PET scan results - 12-28-2007 10:50 AM
I had my biopsy on Dec 20th and at that time the Dr said it looked like just scar tissue and inflamation. Dr wanted to do a biopsy after an uptake appeared on my first post treatment PET scan on Nov 20th. My treatment ended Aug 23.

The Dr called me last night at 8:30 and said the pathology report showed NO signs of cancer! He said we will keep an eye on it clinically.

I am speechless as I absorb this great news!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: PET scan results - 12-28-2007 10:53 AM
Tom,

That's great.
Posted By: Uptown Re: PET scan results - 12-28-2007 06:55 PM
Tom,

I know from the feeling I got from that news exactly how you feel today! I have never been speechless so I will blabber for you!

What great news!

Ed
Posted By: emmylou1951 Re: PET scan results - 12-28-2007 09:28 PM
Fantastic news, Tom! So happy for you....hope your recovery will be swift!

Lois & Buzz in NC
Posted By: JeffL Re: PET scan results - 12-29-2007 12:00 AM
That is fantastic, Tom. That is one of those feelings that you just can't adequately describe to someone who isn't a victim of this (or any other) %$#@% cancer. What a relief and release of adrenaline. I'll bet you sleep for 12 hours! Congratulations!

Posted By: Pandora99 Re: PET scan results - 12-29-2007 12:47 AM
Fabulous news to start a wonderful 2008 for you. Congrats.

Donna
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum