Posted By: angels1313 Blisters on neck - 11-06-2008 12:44 AM
My neck has gotten blisters on the back and sides and seems to be going down further on my shoulder area and it itches like crazy. I had my RO to look at it and he said it was from radiation. My question is how would you be able to tell if it's actually from the radiation or could it possibly be from an allergic reaction to something I've used or taken? The reason I am asking is that it seems to be spreading and it is like small blisters that is itching me to death. Did radiation burns itch other of you like this? Thanks, Angel
Posted By: WendyinPgh Re: Blisters on neck - 11-06-2008 12:52 AM
It seems awfully early in your treatment for you to have radiation burns. I know everyone is different, but my husband's neck didn't really burn until the very last week of treatment. So my guess would be it's an allergic reaction to something you are taking.
Posted By: DonB Re: Blisters on neck - 11-06-2008 01:47 AM
The fourth or fifth week into TX I remember getting a couple small blisters below and behind my right ear.

At times they were a little itchy.

I showed them to the nurse and she told me not to worry about them or pick at them.

I picked them anyway -- finally managed to pop them, then they went away.

I assumed they were from the exit radiation.
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: Blisters on neck - 11-06-2008 02:55 AM
Angel,

I didn't get any blisters or sores on my radiated skin until after my treatment ended, and even then it was pretty minor, but yes, they sure did itch! I assumed it was because the skin was so dry. Check with the nurses for some sort of relief - that is if the nurses at your treatment center were like mine - much better at managing the day-to-day stuff than the doctors.

- Margaret
Posted By: Jandy Re: Blisters on neck - 11-06-2008 03:24 AM
My husband is in his 5th week (of 7) with radiation, and a few blisters and mild itchy feelings are there also. Keep slapping the cream on, use a saline soak a couple times a day too.
Posted By: angels1313 Re: Blisters on neck - 11-06-2008 04:06 AM
I appreciate all your input. I have had a blister on my ear previously from radiation but I don't think this is from the rads. I have chemo tomorrow and I will let the nurse look at it because it seems to be spreading outside of the radiation field.

Thank you,
Angel
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Blisters on neck - 11-06-2008 01:24 PM
Check the contraindications for the pain meds you are taking. I remember one that made me itch all over but I never had any blisters.
Posted By: angels1313 Re: Blisters on neck - 11-07-2008 02:32 AM
David, I think the cause is the aquafor. I washed it off last night and put benedryl lotion on it because I couldn't stand the itching and in 5 minutes after using the benedryl the itching stopped all night and today and it feels so much better. Everyone keeps saying at radiation that the rad's is causing it, and at chemo they say the chemo is causiong it. I think I am just allergic to what they gave me (aquafor) for dry burned skin on neck. It is healing up nicely today.

Now that I got that one fixed, I am having very bad nausea tonight from chemo. Every day it is something new. One thing about it it keeps me busy. lol Angel
Posted By: Lani G Re: Blisters on neck - 11-07-2008 02:57 AM
I've been reading these posts back and forth and not seen this mentioned at all yet.

When I started rad treatment, I was told to use absolutely nothing but pure aloe. Anything else would react with the radiation and make things worse. I could use something else on the weekends if I really wanted to, but I would need to make sure that it was completely cleaned off before Monday am treatment.

When I moved into the patient housing, one of the other paitients went out and bought me some the next day. Now this was over 2 years ago and things may have changed since then, but I never had a serious problem with the burning of my skin. It was just like a sunburn and very dry, but not anything I was very troubled with. I know we are all different, and with different skin types too, so maybe I was never destined for a hard time with it anyway, but I just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Lani
Posted By: DonB Re: Blisters on neck - 11-07-2008 07:06 AM
I was started out with an Aloe cream but it didn't seem to work too well, so they switch me to Aquafor.

They also gave me Biafine to use if I went out and didn't want a greasy neck from the Aquafor.

I was told to always wash them off before daily treatments.

I never noticed the aquafor causing itching, but thinking back, the dry, burnt skin did seem to itch and tingle a bit at times.

Posted By: davidcpa Re: Blisters on neck - 11-07-2008 02:05 PM
Angel,

That why we say this cancer is the gift that never stops giving.
Posted By: Eileen Re: Blisters on neck - 11-07-2008 05:44 PM
Angel,
I used Biafine and it was wonderful. Only use it after treatment and not on open wounds. Aquaphor did nothing for me.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Donnarose Re: Blisters on neck - 11-07-2008 06:42 PM
Angel,
You may want to look at mhupe's posts, her husband Dan went through a difficult time and I believe she may have posted about Dan's care. I'm sure that she would be happy to help if you wanted to e-mail her, as I haven't seen her on in a while.
Hope you feel better soon.
Donna
Posted By: angels1313 Re: Blisters on neck - 11-07-2008 11:02 PM
Thank you all very much for all the information. Also, just in case you don't see me on line for awhile don't worry about me as I may have to cut off my cable and internet service for awhile. I have to keep my Dr's paid and it is very expensive. I will try to check in when I am near a computer or take my laptop downtown where there is free internet if possible. I should be through with my final treatments the last week in November.

And David you are definately right, it just keeps on giving and giving. lol. Angel
Posted By: angels1313 Re: Blisters on neck - 11-07-2008 11:34 PM
Lani and DonB, Teh RO's office never told me to wash anything off before I came back in to be readiated, but I am glad I had done that on my own, but you would have thought they would have explained that to me so I thank ya'll for letting me know.

Another thing I have found is that when I type now I must have chemo brain because my fingers keep taping keys that are in the next word before I get the word I am typing finished. lol Angel
Posted By: Lani G Re: Blisters on neck - 11-08-2008 12:01 AM
Angel,

Please check in as often as you can. I was limited in my access to OCF for only a few days and I missed our connection SO MUCH! And people here did worry about me anyway, which I am grateful for. So if you don't check in, I promise we'll worry about you.

I do believe in rad/chemo brain. My sons laugh when I tell them I don't remember, but I know I knew yesterday, and I'll probably remember tomorrow, but maybe not......

All those things that I just can't seem to understand as well as I used to, like IRS tax law and accounting - I just don't worry about it. I'm disabled/retired now and don't have to deal with them anymore. I never have been able to understand things like how TV and radio waves work and, OMG, the internet. I don't even try anymore - It's just magic! It's made my life so much simpler, and my sons like and laugh at that one, too.

So tap into the magic when you can to let us know how you're doing.

Lani

Posted By: angels1313 Re: Blisters on neck - 11-08-2008 12:13 AM
Lani, I know what you are saying about the internet. I have always said that my internet was my window to the world! And it is! lol Angel
Posted By: AmyK Re: Blisters on neck - 11-08-2008 08:16 PM
Oh but girls, if you lived with my husband he would take the time to explain how all of that works. I just look at him shake my head and hope he can't tell that my eyes are glassing over!
Amy
Posted By: Lani G Re: Blisters on neck - 11-08-2008 08:26 PM
Amy,

You've got one of those, too? My husband is a math and physics genius. I don't even try to hide my glassing-over eyes anymore. He just thinks it's funny - a sure sign he's gone too far once again.

It's magic, and that's that.

Lani
Posted By: Lostpassword Re: Blisters on neck - 11-09-2008 02:51 AM
Sorry, ladies - MY husband is the king of making a short story long! Warmly, Jane laugh
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: Blisters on neck - 11-09-2008 04:56 AM
Hey there has to be a happy medium out there somewhere between the long story and my husband who talks with one or two words...lol
Posted By: Pete D Re: Blisters on neck - 11-09-2008 06:20 PM
A "happy medium"? Most mediums are very blank in affect because they are trying to serve as a neutral conduit between folks on earth and those who have passed -- They are also trying to serve as a conduit for your money and it wouldn't be good practice for them to look happy when they get it...
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum