Posted By: Eshwar N Magic Mouthwash - 08-29-2011 04:52 AM
I understand that everybody undergoing radiotherapy/chemotherapy at some point of time must have had severe mucositis or stomatitis. For some salt/bicarb gargles must have helped but few must have got serious painkillers.

I have been trying to find out information about Magic Mouthwash as suggested by few members here. Since it is a non-standard pharmacy recipe, there are no sufficient literature available. Does anyone out here has a good suggestion to make about the composition?

Most of them have some mix of antibiotic, anesthetic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory and coating agent.

Is it safe? Is it effective or good old salt/bicarb is better?
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Magic Mouthwash - 08-30-2011 12:25 AM
To my knowledge it's safe. I used to work for a dentist and he would prescribe it for people and I have used it after surgeries. I've never had a problem getting an Rx for it...the pharmacies seem to know what to do. It just numbs the area for a little bit...not too long. But long enough to eat or to get down an Ensure without being in pain. I'm not a doctor but I don't think it's dangerous.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Magic Mouthwash - 08-30-2011 03:13 AM
My Magic Mouthwash was made of lidocaine, malox any benedryl. It was by prescription. The pharmacist had no trouble mixing it up for me.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Magic Mouthwash - 08-31-2011 12:37 PM
My Drs script for it is about the same as Christines. It must be his own compound as the Drug stores I use had to talk to his office to get the mixture right. One druggist had to call out of state to get it from a drug company to be sure. Been using it for 4 yrs and it still works.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Magic Mouthwash - 08-31-2011 03:41 PM
I have to ask my pharmacist only because just out of treatment I had a bit of white on my tongue and it seemed to me that it was thrush. I asked him for a scrip just in case it got worse - he said no need just use your magic mouthwash there's something in there that helps??? Lidocaine is analgesic, malox digestive, benadryl, allergy related so im thinking our formula may be made Little differently. However there are no ingredients listed. They may have tweaked th original formula. I have to say at that point I'd used it for a couple of days - 3. - 4 times a day - and it didn't seem to help but day 2 of the honey it was gone! I did use the mouthwash for pain though just when I was about to eat. It's supposed to be safe to swallow as well.

If I find the papers our drug store gives out I'll let you know the ingredients - or whe I'm at the pharmacy next I'll ask.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum