Posted By: Mamacita Grateful, BUT NOT FOR OATMEAL #%*@!!!! - 03-19-2014 02:10 PM
Friend of a friend of a friend: Hi! Is it true you can't eat? That is so sad!

Me: Oh, I can eat quite a few things now. In fact I just started eating oatmeal again today.

FoFoF: Then wake up every day grateful you can eat oatmeal. And if you feel bad, just remember, 'Hey! At least I get to eat oatmeal!'

Me: Okay, then you can wake up every day grateful I don't THROAT PUNCH YOU. (Laughs)
--------------------
Just between you and me? I wasn't really joking.

Posted By: David2 Re: Grateful, BUT NOT FOR OATMEAL #%*@!!!! - 03-19-2014 03:44 PM
Excellent. Can I punch the FoFoF too?

(disclaimer: I've never punched anybody in my life but I'm willing to learn for this jerk)
Posted By: BrianPK Re: Grateful, BUT NOT FOR OATMEAL #%*@!!!! - 03-19-2014 08:26 PM
Congrats on the Oatmeal! Maple and brown sugar Cream of Wheat was my staple for 2 weeks. Most know what an accomplishment eating a new(post treatment) food is.

I know you felt like tuning this guy with a tu-ba-fore...
Posted By: Mamacita Re: Grateful, BUT NOT FOR OATMEAL #%*@!!!! - 03-20-2014 01:36 PM
Thanks David, Thanks Brian. I don't know how to punch anyone either, but if I ever decide to I'm sure there's a YouTube tutorial smile
Posted By: PaulB Re: Grateful, BUT NOT FOR OATMEAL #%*@!!!! - 03-20-2014 05:22 PM
Some people never cease to amaze me. It's those that have have no real ills or suffering that say things can always be worse, and be thankful for that, otherwise they wouldn't say anything, and would be more empathetic. That friend of a friend of a friend is no friend of yours.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Grateful, BUT NOT FOR OATMEAL #%*@!!!! - 03-21-2014 12:09 PM
That line about - things could be worse - was a comment my son received when he felt he was already feeling the very worse possible. I made sure that anyone I talked to would know not to mention it to him. I always remember this little story: One day as I walked out of church, feeling sad and lonely, someone tapped my shoulder and said - Cheer up, things could be worse - And so I did, I cheered up! And sure enough things got worse. Moral of this story: TCBW only makes things worse.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Grateful, BUT NOT FOR OATMEAL #%*@!!!! - 03-21-2014 02:07 PM
And what the heck do you have against oatmeal? smile just teasing. Some people are just plain condescending. As for oatmeal... It's gross without sugar I minimize my sugar intake and frankly my sugar taste isn't great so, basically it's like wallpaper paste to me... Ack!
Posted By: BrianPK Re: Grateful, BUT NOT FOR OATMEAL #%*@!!!! - 03-21-2014 02:09 PM
Mamacita,

a tu-bah-fore is a 2x4, found in the construction materials section of your local Lowes/HomeDepot. No training required smile
Posted By: Vic Re: Grateful, BUT NOT FOR OATMEAL #%*@!!!! - 03-26-2014 07:12 PM
I know my husband would agree with every one of you. He is still blending soups. His diet consists of soups, yogurts, Ensure, puddings and more of the same. He just in the last couple of days is experimenting (not like him) with fish. I found that saut�ing cod or flounder fillets in butter and garlic goes down well. Small steps but progress. He never liked oatmeal anyway.
Posted By: Bart Re: Grateful, BUT NOT FOR OATMEAL #%*@!!!! - 03-27-2014 03:53 PM
Hi Mamacita,

Every morning I fix a bowl of oatmeal with a fistful of crushed walnuts, another fistful of Craisins (sweetened dried cranberries) and a small spoon of Splenda.

I'm not wild about it, but it's easy on the stomach and the walnuts provide my daily Omega-3 fat ration while the craisins provide something for my prostate. On top of that, it seems to help settle my stomach (which has lately been a tad touchy from the rads.)

The biggest benefit for me is that it doesn't aggravate the constant nausea, so that's a huge plus for me. Right now, there's not much else that works as well. But on the other hand, this nausea is transient and in a couple of weeks should be done with me.

In the meanwhile, waiting for the nausea to finish with me and move on, I can see I'll have time to work on my "snappy rejoinder" file.

I like yours to the IFoFoF (Idiot friend of a friend of a friend.) You go Girl!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum