Posted By: julieann Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-10-2011 07:42 PM
Hi Forum Family:
I was having an MRI prescribed by an allergist, who was testing for possible metal allergies on caps, crowns I've had since my procedures (ended 1/08). Don't know why she wanted an MRI of my head. She called and told me the results showed a "mass" somewhere behind my nose area and that was way out of her league, so I had her send me, radiation oncologist, and ENT a copy. My radiation oncologist sent me an email and said she wanted to have more area shown on MRI and so I had another MRI with neck area included, today. I see her, and the ENT Tuesday. The radiation oncologist said she didn't think it was cancer (yeah, right), because of all the tests I've had recently. I'm scheduled for a 6-month CT scan later this month; tests I've had were for probable causes of sweet putrid mucus I have 24/7.
Here is what the report said, which really scares me: There is mucosal enhancement and possible mass in the the posterolateral left nasopharyngeal wall. Given the history of tonsillar cancer, this may represent recurrence/residual tumor. This contrast-enhancing mass measures 3.7 x 1.7 cm.
I am really scared, and always freak out waiting for results of any test I have (call me the Queen of Wimps!), but just wanted to ask you all to please pray for me and that I do not have a recurrence. Thank you so much.
julieann
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-10-2011 08:27 PM
Julieann - Positive Vibes and Prayers going your way right now for everything to be all OK!! You are NOT a wimp! We all freak out with anything that those ugly "what-ifs" do to us. Don't let them! You are taking charge and doing what needs to be done. Concentrate instead on what the oncologist said about your good progress so far. It could just be ugly allergy gunk building up. There is just as much chance for positive things happening so try to stay with that and keep busy. And let us know what's happening.
Posted By: msmac Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-10-2011 11:55 PM
You are definitely not a wimp! Please let us know how things go on Tuesday. Hopefully all your worry will be over nothing. I will keep you in my thoughts.
Posted By: zengalib Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-11-2011 12:24 AM
You are certainly not a wimp! All of us are so frightened with any change in our health issues. We are so worried that any ache or pain, no matter where, means that cancer is back in some manner.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-11-2011 12:25 AM
These often (and did in me) turn out to be benign polyps that can easily be removed in a simple surgery. They shrank mine with inhaled corticosteriods for a couple of months, then took it out in a 30 minute procedure. I even had a deviated nasal septum fixed at the same time, that I of course have had my whole life.

I tell you my story just to show you that sometimes things are not what we think, given our common predilection for anxiety attacks when something new comes up. I was scared to death when this showed up on a scan several years out.

I hope yours also turns out to be something benign that is easily dealt with.
Posted By: David2 Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-11-2011 12:29 AM
Juliann: we're all equally scared waiting for results of tests. It's just being human. I'll be keeping the positive thoughts flowing your way.
Posted By: AnneO Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-11-2011 02:26 AM
Juliann,
All I can add is that those radiology reports all read like that when they see something that could be construed as a mass, doesn't seem to me like their wording is exceptional. Not that it wouldn't scare me too. And of course they have to check it out.
Wishing you the best,
Anne
Posted By: Sandy177 Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-11-2011 02:30 AM
Hi Juliann,

I will most certainly remember you in my prayers. I will send positive thoughts as well. Please keep in mind the 'what-if' Brian has mentioned...that's a good what-if to think about. In the meantime, try to occupy yourself with other thoughts and activities that keep you from thinking about it too much.

I am sorry that you are going through this very frightening situation. My heart is with you as are my prayers that it is something benign and easily remedied.

Love,

Sandy
xoxoxo
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-11-2011 02:42 AM
My friend Julieann, please try your very best to keep yourself busy and keep your mind active so it doesnt keep playing the 'what if' trick on you. I know how scared you are but you just cant be sick!!!! Listen to Brian, he is one of the smartest people Ive ever known. You dont know what it is at this point but you will get to the bottom of it.

(((HUGS))) and prayers to you!!!!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-11-2011 03:12 AM
Hey Julianne - I agree with everything said here... It could be nothing. Possibly something benign. Also sometimes MRIs are misinterpreted. They are only as good as the person reading them - if you breath when told not to, or swallow it can blur the scan. Please try not to worry until there's reason to- Plus your oncologist sounds unconcerned - that's a good sign. I'll still say a prayer for you and hope you don't need it! And cross all digits too - hugs and take care
Posted By: julieann Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-11-2011 04:11 AM
Thank you, all my wonderful friends. I knew I could count on you and you sure didn't disappoint me. What you said, Brian, about a benign polyp hopefully is what they saw and what it is. That could be the reason for some of the other symptoms I've been having. Again, thanks so much and I pray for all of you each night, whether you need it or not wink. I will let you know as soon as I know something Tuesday.
Love to all,
julieann
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-11-2011 12:54 PM
Lets pray that's it's nothing to worry about.
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-11-2011 12:55 PM
Sending you a big, warm hug and prayers, Julieann.
Posted By: Malka Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-11-2011 01:29 PM
Wil be thinking of you tomorrow and praying for good news
Posted By: Gabe Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-14-2011 11:19 PM
I hope it was good news Julieann?
How did you go on Tuesday or did you post somewhere else?
Love
Gabriele
Posted By: julieann Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-15-2011 05:24 AM
Hi Gabe:
Thanks for remembering me. My radiation oncologist did a thorough check and said she thought it had something to do with the dye contrast on the first MRI. The second MRI mentioned "contrast enhancing lesion of the soft palate and uvula" and recommended direct visualization and possible biopsy. A storm knocked out the power at the ENTs office and my appointment was canceled until today where he did the "hose up the nose" deal (I know there's a better name for it, but you know what I mean sick. He saw one area that was small, but questionable, and decided he should do a biopsy when they can schedule it. He did say he was 99.9% sure it wasn't cancer and just wants to be sure and also satisfy my concern. Meanwhile, at the University of Alabama Hospital in Birmingham, the head of the Head and Neck Oncology Dept. has scheduled an appointment for me to have a CT scan next Wednesday. So now I'm trying to get in touch with my RO here to see which, to have done, or both? I still ask for prayers from all my Forum friends and will be back with you as soon as I know what's going on.

julieann

Posted By: julieann Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-15-2011 05:43 AM
Update: I went back to my emails and had an email from my radiation oncologist who said she wants me to have the look/biopsy here in Huntsville with the ENT. She said she had spoken to the ENT and they both feel it is not cancer. So, that makes me feel a little better and I will post as soon as I have the biopsy and results. I ask you all to pray for me because I really believe in prayers. Thank you, and I guess it's bedtime now tired.
julieann
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-15-2011 12:10 PM
Many prayers coming your way... It's good news they all think it's not cancer though... Hugs and they to have a good weekend...
Posted By: Cecilia Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-15-2011 10:15 PM
Sending lots of prayers your way too. XXOO
Posted By: msmac Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-16-2011 02:25 AM
All sounds very positive. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-23-2011 12:13 AM
Hi Julieann,

I've been catching myself up on this thread and I'm wondering how you are doing. I would never say you are whimp waiting for results...who isn't?! I know I am!! I'm waiting for some now and I'm nervous.

I'm hoping to see an update from you soon and I hope you're doing well.
Posted By: julieann Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-23-2011 12:44 AM
Hi Suzanne:
Thank you for thinking of me. They scheduled my biopsy for August 5th - I wanted it sooner, of course, but the ENT was going to be out of town and my RO wants him to do it. I guess they're not too worried to rush me in for a biopsy, so I should think that way, right? Uh huh. I'm still a wimp. I'll update as soon as I get the word. Please keep praying for good results - I definitely have you on my list. When do you get yours? Waiting is the pits, as we all know.
Hugs from julieann
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-23-2011 11:53 AM
Hey I guess we're two nervous peas in a pod! I have my first Fu scan next wed. Results on the 3rd! I am not falling apart or anything but I'm worried - despite feeling good! Best of luck with your scan and yes the fact that they aren't concerned is a good sign! Hugs saying an all clear pprayer for you and I!
Posted By: julieann Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-23-2011 08:37 PM
Hi Cheryl:
Nice to have a pal pea in the pod, even though we're nervous. I wish you the very best with your scan next Wednesday, and will be waiting for results. I have to wait until August 5th; I'm sure I'll be a babbling idiot by then. crazy, Oh well. Prayers headed your way.
Hugs from julieann
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-24-2011 10:42 PM
@julieann - smile ditto for you too prayers and best wishes being sent!!! You'll be clear!!! smile hopefully it's nothing! Hugs and healing vibes!
Posted By: Pam M Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-25-2011 12:11 AM
Very glad to read the pros think there's no cause for alarm. But I hate the thought that you have to wait til August 5th for proof. Wish the time could speed for you.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-25-2011 12:46 AM
I agree with your thoughts...if they thought there was something to really worry about you probably would not be waiting until Aug 5. That's the same day I get my results...fingers crossed!!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-25-2011 02:25 AM
Oohhhh three peas in a pod!! Hugs and prayers for you also suzanne98!
Posted By: msmac Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-25-2011 04:03 AM
Thoughts and prayers going out for all of the peas! I hope time goes by quickly for everyone.
Posted By: julieann Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-25-2011 04:09 AM
Thank you all - I just love getting prayers and encouragement from all you wonderful buddies. You all know my prayers go out to all of you, like I said before, whether you need them or not, so there!
Hugs,
julieann
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-26-2011 12:01 AM
I'm sure us peas will be a-ok!! (((HUGS)))
Posted By: julieann Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-26-2011 04:33 AM
Suzanne and Cheryl: I'm sure with us three peas pulling together, we will do fine - heck, I almost don't sound like a wimp. See the encouragement you guys give me.
Hugs from julieann
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-26-2011 03:37 PM
Good luck all - god is there to support you! And so are we!
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-27-2011 11:54 PM
I did get some good news today....there was a possibility that I had cervical dysplasia and I got the results today that all is well!!! I'm hoping for more of the same on 8/5!!
Posted By: julieann Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-28-2011 12:05 AM
Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for one of the Peas! Will be waiting for another good report on or after the 5th (same as mine).
Hugs,
julieann
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-28-2011 12:33 AM
Excellent news Suzanne!!!!!! Im so happy for you that all is well. You have been thru so much already, you sure deserve a break. What a wonderful person you are to be doing the trial to help others. Hope you go celebrate your good health!!!!

Julieanne, you are next for some good news.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-28-2011 02:11 AM
That's soo great I am so glad hugs and. Big relieved sigh!
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-30-2011 12:59 AM
Thanks all!! I can't wait to see more good news on here from the other peas!!
Posted By: walknlite Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-30-2011 09:15 PM
I have been catching up. I am sorry if you all feel like I abandoned you, but I needed to take some time away and get my head back on straight. Julie, I pray that God will give you the patience you need to wait until Aug 5th. I think everything will turn out A-ok. As August 5th is a great day. It will be my 11th anniversary.

Suzanne, so glad for your good news.
Posted By: julieann Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-30-2011 09:21 PM
THANK YOU, ANGELIA. I will take that as a "good luck" omen wink.
julieann
Posted By: walknlite Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 07-30-2011 09:23 PM
smile.
Posted By: HankXavier Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-02-2011 01:55 PM
In my thoughts. I know that God is in control friend. I had a PET scan that showed 2 hot lymph nodes in my neck that came back inconclusive and then negative after they took 4 or 5 of them out. These scans are not 100% conclusive and even if it turns out to be true, God is stronger. Speak out loud to Him and He will listen and act on your behalf. That is the promise and after all I have been through so far, I believe it.
Posted By: SUEZ Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-02-2011 05:05 PM
My youngest daughter has had issues with that cervical dysplasia since 21 yrs old...
Posted By: julieann Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-05-2011 10:48 PM
I had my biopsy today and, of course, won't know anything probably until next week. The ENT said he didn't see anything suspicious but the biopsy will tell. They are going to check for any type infection, as I have had pseudomonas in the past (over a year ago) so they will check for that and any other bacterial/fungal infection that could have reacted to the MRI contrast. Our poor immune systems are so succeptible to these type things following radiation. Anyway, I will let you know as soon as I know something. God Bless you all, and keep your prayers coming. Peas Suzanne and Cheryl will be hearing from Pea 3, hopefully to do our Happy Dance.
Hugs,
julieann
Posted By: Gabe Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-05-2011 11:32 PM
Best wishes for a quick and clear result Julieann.
Good things come in 3's so I can already picture the 3 of you doing that dance wink
Love to you all
Gabriele
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-06-2011 04:29 AM
Yes - prepping for a happy dance!
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-06-2011 06:45 PM
Hi all,

Biopsy results yesterday and not so good news. After the PDT I'm still in the same boat with moderate dysplasia on the right side of my mouth. I'm pretty sad and I cried a lot last night. I actually had some hope this time....

I'm hoping to hear good news from everyone else:) I will still dance to celebrate you!!

Love to all,
Suzanne
Posted By: julieann Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-06-2011 08:50 PM
Hi Suzanne:
Just sent you a PM, so watch for it. And, Missy, don't you fret, we will ALL do the Happy Dance, no matter when, so there!
Hugs,
julieann
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-06-2011 11:47 PM
Sorry to hear the results Suzanne!!! Please look at the bright side to this. I know that its hard to do but think of the wonderful thing you are doing by participating in the trial. ((((HUGS))) to you my friend!!!!

Julieanne, still praying that your results are negative and will tell you whats going on. (((HUGS))) and prayers to you!!!!
Posted By: msmac Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-07-2011 12:52 AM
Suzanne, I'm sorry that you didn't get good results from the PDT. I really hope your doctors can get rid of the dysplasia once and for all. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-07-2011 02:07 AM
Thanks you all. I do realize that most people here are dealing with a cancer diagnosis like I did in 2007 and going through some hard treatments so I do keep that in mind. I was just so excited for the thought of a "clear" pathology report because I have never had one. It's always cause for concern for my doc and I've been going to her every 2-3 months for 4+ years now. I can't wait until I get to go every 6 months. I've had multiple biopsies, 4 partial glossectomie and the PDT which was way worse as far as pain than anything to date.

So, forgive me if I seem to complaining about something less serious when others here deal with so much. Julieann...I'll stop hijacking your thread too!!! lol

Can't wait to hear your results...fingers crossed for you my dear. xoxo
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-07-2011 04:05 AM
I totally get the feeling it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop! I know at some point you just want to relax and forget about it. I'm sorry about the dysplasia - I'm glad it's not cancer though! Hugs to you pea one! Try not to cry - I know it's upsetting and scary - we all have those days! But we're all here for you when you need to vent. Take care!
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-10-2011 05:44 PM
Any news yet Julieann? I've been thinking of you.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-11-2011 02:05 PM
Me too pea 3! smile hugs!
Posted By: julieann Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-11-2011 02:47 PM
Hi All, and especially Pea pod Cheryl and Suzanne: I finally got part of the results from my August 5th biopsy - the GOOD part. The suspected area from MRI showed: Benign respiratory lined mucosa with mild chronic inflammation and mild fibrosis. Because of my immune system being so low, an infectious disease doctor (who I see tomorrow) also used part of the biopsy to determine if any infections (already determined yeast in mouth and bladder infection), and looking for pseudomonas that could be causing other symptoms I have. But, for now Peas, let's do the Happy Dance about NO CANCER for any of us, and hopefully other forum members too! I add all of you in my prayers every night and ask for yours. Hugs from julieann
Posted By: julieann Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-11-2011 02:54 PM
Oh, I forgot to add this: grin laugh grin laugh grin laugh Happy Dance, Happy Dance, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-11-2011 07:02 PM
Congrats Julieann!!!! Im so happy that you are not facing a recurrence!!!! Anything else can be managed. Go celebrate!!!!
Posted By: Gabe Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-11-2011 11:11 PM
Great news Julieann,
How wonderful that you 3 are cancer free. This is certainly a cause for celebrations. I wonder what a happy dance looks like...a little bit crazy I think! crazy
Hope and fingers crossed that all your ongoing issues can get resolved soon.
Love Gabriele
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-12-2011 01:04 AM
Julieann,

You just made my night!!! I am so happy and excited for you:) What wonderful news. Happy dance for sure!! Gabe, you are right...lord knows what we would look like.

Now I will have a good night.

(((hugs))) this is a good pod to be in!!
Posted By: WendyG Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-12-2011 11:07 AM
Sorry ladies, I just caught up on this thread. Just wanted to say I'm so very happy that there's no cancer for all 3 of you. Fantastic little group of pea's that you are smile Also wish I could see that happy dance. It would be a beauty xxx
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-12-2011 01:16 PM
That is fantastic!!!!!! smile I am so happy pea three- definitely keeping you all in my prayers - smile hugs and healng vibes to you - I too will have a great day knowing you're clear - !!! smile as im sure you will!

Hey did you guys hear about the breakthrough with leukemia? Theyve figured out a way to turn the body's cells into little cancer assassins - let's hope the can figure out how to do that so it works for all cancers! Apparently 3 critical leukemia patients have been treated and are now cancer free! Hugs again pea 3!
Posted By: jayneday Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-12-2011 03:41 PM
Congratuations! Oh to be in your pod you make me smile and think that will be me soon:)
Dance till you can dance no more!
Take care of you
Jayne x
Posted By: Malka Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-13-2011 12:25 AM
laugh laugh laugh Big smiles and hugs(((((())))))for the3 peas in a pod Hope the good news is contagious.

Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Surprise shock - prayers, please - 08-13-2011 06:00 PM
Cheryl...that is so interesting. Was it a study?
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum