Posted By: Chuckles0504 New and Anxious - 12-14-2012 06:52 PM
Looking for what to expect as husband is having partial glossectomy and neck dis. on Mondy. We are quite anxious and scared.
Posted By: Englishgirl32 Re: New and Anxious - 12-14-2012 07:47 PM
Awwww bless him.
The tongue surgery bit is not as bad as you would think. I didn't have my neck thing done but my nurse said that people don't notice the neck bit after surgery because they are distracted by the swollen tongue which feels strange. His tongue will be numb due to cutting the nerves so not that painful really, plus the morphine is kind of nice to have anyway. The emotional stuff later is the hard bit I found. Adrenaline will get you both through this next bit.
He will feel like his tongue is filling his whole mouth when he comes round, tell him not to panic and that it will go down a lot within 24 hours, they will help him breath if needs be.
Mine was a little different as it was tip of tongue but some things will be the same. Hopefully you might get a response from a BOT survivor!
I'm so sorry for you both, I will be thinking of you on Monday, this time next week things will be a little better.
Let me know how it goes.
Kate
Posted By: Chuckles0504 Re: New and Anxious - 12-14-2012 08:19 PM
Thanks. I will post how it goes. Don't know how I will sleep this weekend!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: New and Anxious - 12-14-2012 08:23 PM
Welcome to OCF! I have moved your post to its own thread and sent you a message with some helpful info about the forum.

Best wishes to your husband with his upcoming surgery next week!
Posted By: Englishgirl32 Re: New and Anxious - 12-14-2012 08:46 PM
You'll get through it, be strong for him even if you feel like you have been kicked so hard it has winded you. You're going through a trauma and the human body is very resilient. You will cope will little sleep, however I got a little something to help from the Dr to put me out, it's was only for the worst bit so don't feel bad if you need some of the hard stuff. Failing that a large glass of wine helps wonders too :-)
You'll come through this as I think I will to, I survived the trauma bit now I�ll get through the recovery bit and so will you and your husband.
Posted By: David2 Re: New and Anxious - 12-14-2012 10:32 PM
Chuckles, my thoughts are with you both. The fact that you've chosen that screen name tells me that you've got a sense of humor (unless your last name is Chuckles, of course!), which is a great asset going in to this treatment.

We're here to help.
Posted By: PaulB Re: New and Anxious - 12-14-2012 11:39 PM
Good luck with everything, and I hope for a quick recovery.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New and Anxious - 12-16-2012 09:51 PM
Hi there my surgery was similar the neck dissection is rather painless - actually the whole thng is mostly uncomfortable rather than painfully. Mostly you are numb as theyve cut nerves etc... But he'll likely Need physio for his shoulder. And a few weeks later will be back to eating and speaking ok. Best of luck le us knw how he does. Take care
Posted By: Shelby Re: New and Anxious - 12-17-2012 05:57 AM
I wish your husband the best of luck! I'm going for the same surgery on the 27th! I noticed you are from Ohio! I'm getting my treatment from dr. agrawal at OSU. I'm wondering if you have the same because when they were scheduling my surgery and he got two patients in at the same time, with the same surgeries (one me) and one surgery date was the 18th and the other the 27th!

well anyways, best of luck! Stay strong!
Posted By: Bette Re: New and Anxious - 12-17-2012 02:39 PM
Hi, My husband just had the same surgery on Dec. 5th. We are home now and he is slowly getting better. It was very traumatic as a caregiver. Honestly my knees buckled when I first saw him in ICU. But then It became familiar and I think it might look worse than it is. Reggie is now taking sips of water very well. He says he can't feel it but it's not coming back out his mouth so I know he is swallowing. It's all about baby steps. Good luck today.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: New and Anxious - 12-17-2012 05:08 PM
Chuckles

Your husband will probably be in the hospital for a week or longer. I had a similar operation and was there for 12 days but that was because they ended up taking more of my tongue then they had expected once they opened me up. Actually, getting the glossectemoy and neck dissection together is easier on the patient plus the hospital can worry about taking care of the drains. Don't panic when you see tubes everywhere.
It does all get better.
Charm
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum