Posted By: harrietlane1 Im new - 02-06-2012 06:15 AM
i think i have the same tongue cancer as you, but am new to it and less educated (also, i'm 63)
i've had the surgery,and now, 6 months later, oral pathologist says cells may be evolving into malignancy. they will biopsy deeper tomorrow and compare results.
i'm afraid they are about to hit me w/ necessity for radiology, something i just do not want to do. how nice of that dentist to speak w/ you. p'raps you might pass that kindnesson to me (if you think appropriate)
thanks for you time reading this
hope to hear from you
thanks, harriet
Posted By: zengalib Im new - 02-06-2012 02:02 PM
Harriet,
I had surgery on my tongue as well as a neck dissection, since there was lymph node involvement. I also had around 7 weeks of radiation combined with three doses of chemo. The treatments certainly were't fun, but I got through them and completed my treatments in August of 2009. Glad you found us, sorry you had to. The people here are very supportive and are all here for you. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Posted By: Cheryld Im new - 02-06-2012 02:34 PM
Hi Harriet - radiation is no picnic, but you'd be amazed a how strong you are. If the dr recommends it, do it. Overall from beginning to the light at the end of he tunnel it's about 8 -9 weeks. At that point things will begin to slowly heal. The actual radiation usually runs 6-7 weeks, then works for two more weeks - maybe a little more depending on your personal health, ability to heal, nutrition etc.. And then it's one month for every week of radiation to reach your new normal - mind you that's a ball park figure - I still improve daily and my surgery was a year ago yesterday - and radiation 9 mos ago. It sounds like your issues are in the very early stages - hopefully things will be okay and not as difficult. Good luck.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Im new - 02-06-2012 05:04 PM
Harriet, welcome to OCF. Please be proactive and advocate for yourself. Get to a cancer center and hear what they have to say. You are young and can do radiation. It is a tool that isnt easy but it can save your life. Good luck with everything you are facing.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum