Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-07-2008 09:30 PM
Got an Email from Biotene stating that the dry mouth spray is finally available. Says it is available at Wal-Mart, Target, Meijer, Longs Drugs, Kroger, Ralphs, Drug Fair

Wonder what flavor they went with, 1 or 2 smile

Remember, we tested it here first smile

Kevin

Posted By: August Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-08-2008 05:45 AM
Kevin, I also tested the spray, but I had already devised my own spray, which I liked better.....and still do. I keep a small travel-sized bottle of the regular Biotene mouth wash by my bedside, and another in my purse, and I give several sprays for good relief. The flavor is refreshing, and it works for a while. It might not be quite as long-lasting, but it was more pleasant.

I'll try the spray that they are offering, but I am betting that I will like my own invention better!

XO
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-08-2008 12:34 PM
That's the one thing I think we all can agree with. If it works, keep on doing it!

You'll appreciate this. I actually managed some crawfish this year. Now Crawfish in Memphis are not like down there, but the fact that they were cooked in some crab boil and I was able to eat em....oooooooooweeee

cest bon!

Kevin
Posted By: August Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-08-2008 04:57 PM
Laissez le bon temps roulez, Kevin!! Geaux, geaux, geaux!!!

My sister and her husband are big bbq'ers, and they will be manning the Holy Smokers' booth at Memphis in May next week. Go see them and introduce yourself as one of Colleen's internet cancer friends. My sister was my post-surgical nurse. Elizabeth and Jimmie Madden, being assisted in the booth by their grown children and other team members...It's a tremendous amount of work, but they love it!

XO
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-08-2008 06:19 PM
Very Cool

You're right, it is a lot of work. We have three guys here at the office that are on teams and they are going to start setting up this weekend.

I am going to try and get downtown for the BBQ next weekend. I really want to take some pics. If I do I'll definitely look up your sis-n-them. I jus hope the rain lets up. The music festival last weekend got pounded with rain on Friday night (thats why it has been nick-named the Memphis in Mud Music Festival, and looks like this weekend will be a wet one too. At least this weekends activities are mostly indoors.

And for those of you that do not have a clue what we're talking about:

Memphis in May

BBQ on the river World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest

Basically a month long party in Memphis

sorry, no Elvis smile

Kevin
Posted By: emmylou1951 Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-17-2008 02:47 AM
I FINALLY found it (by accident) in our local WalMart this past weekend...I had been looking for ANYTHING to help with hubby's dry mouth...pleasantly surprised to find it...Buzz was SO glad...he really likes all the Biotene products!
Posted By: Nelie Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-20-2008 11:12 PM
I am another who tested the spray and I finally got thr timr to run out to Walmart and buy some. I was going to stock up but when I saw that they said ti had a mint flavor I became worried that it would be mint so strong it would burn my highly sensitive mouth (as the mouthwash does) even though neither of their test sprays did that.

Well the good news is it IS a mint flavor but there's no burning sensation and since the one really chronic dry spot I have is at the upper back of my mouth--it is much easier to get moisture right there with a spray. So I am very very happy. Thanks LaClede!
Posted By: Steve F. Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-21-2008 03:55 AM
The spray and liquid gel is good (As is all their products) but thank God for the gum!! I keep a standing order with my pharmicist for about a dozen packs and on some days I go through an entire pack. In my profession I spend the day speaking and the gum helps mosturize, stimulate saliva as well as keep my jaw limber. It's AWESOME! If you haven't tried it I would highly recommend it.
Thank you Biotene.

Regards,
Steve
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-21-2008 12:52 PM
Yes, I agree. I spend most of my day talking (ask my wife) and the Biotene gum helps a lot. When I chew I don't even think about water. My only complaints are that it doesn't last that long before it will disintegrate it my mouth and it's very expensive.
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-21-2008 01:19 PM
I tried the gum, didn't do much for me, sadly to say.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-21-2008 08:30 PM
It didn't do anything positive for me until around 16 months post Tx, but now it works. Go figure. Maybe you have to have some minimum amount of saliva before it works? Weird.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-21-2008 10:22 PM
You have to remember that while one function of these Biotene products is to ease the dry mouth, the more important function is to replace enzymes in your mouth that are now missing from your saliva (or lack of it), as a result of the xerostomia. These enzymes are part of the protective mechanism of the mouth to prevent gum disease etc. So remember that while the product, gum or what ever may only last a little while, the enzymes that it leaves behind are the important thing.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-22-2008 01:06 PM
Brian, good point to remember as I focus too much on the gum as a convenient replacement to sipping water. The CPA in me still wishes it cost less or lasted longer though.
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-22-2008 03:53 PM
Good point Brian. I for one did not realize that the gum had the enzymes.... (doink)
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-23-2008 02:37 AM
The enzymes are really expensive. Surprisingly for the price you pay for their products, Laclede's profit margin is no better/different than for companies that are making simpler formula/cheaper products.
Posted By: Dr. Mike Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-23-2008 02:39 AM
Brian makes a great point about the enzymes contained in the biotene products especially the gum. It may not seem like it is doing much but it does have lasting effects even after you are done chewing it. Gum chewing as well stimulates salivary flow even in impaired salivary glands. The mechanical action of chewing makes the brain stimulate the glands.
Make sure you are chewing sugarless gum so that you don't damage your teeth. Gum that contains xylitol helps reduce cavity causing bacteria.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-23-2008 02:26 PM
I'm chewing as I type.
Posted By: Dr. Mike Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-23-2008 04:35 PM
David,
I am not coordinated enough to chew and type at the same time. LOL (sometimes my ADD gets the best of me.)
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 05-23-2008 09:13 PM
Try chewing once and typing once and repeating until you too will get as fast as I am.
Posted By: fisherman Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 08-02-2008 03:55 PM
Don't like the taste of the biotin products Oasis much better taste. but walmart pulled it recently so just using water. in the old oasis bottle. I am getting used to no saliva our body is amazingly adaptable.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 08-03-2008 04:03 PM
Fish,

Add your particulars to your Signature Line as it helps when others want to post a response to anything you say.

That said, I believe you just finished Tx? and if that's so then what tastes good or bad today doesn't mean that it will be that way forever.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 08-04-2008 02:18 AM

My RO has me brushing my tongue with biotene toothpaste to try and get rid of this fungus all of the way. Never saw anything so stubborn. LOL wish I was brushing toofys.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 08-19-2008 08:58 PM
I bought the Biotene spray today at WalMart. I hope it woks good for me too. My mouth is dry as sandpaper. Not the wet either that is used to sand for a paint job. LOL
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 08-19-2008 10:16 PM

The biotene mouth spray and mouthwash both burn my mouth. I love their toothpaste though.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 08-20-2008 01:39 AM
I use the toothpaste to brush my tongue and gums and use the mouth wash and now the spray. LOL Starting to sound like a testimonial.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 08-20-2008 01:03 PM
Jim,

Just a thought. Now that you're an OLDIE maybe you should put some dates in your signature line so NEWBIES can track your progression.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 09-02-2008 08:43 PM
Dave, evreytime I try to do it where it makes sense, I run out of my alloted space. This last one, I made sure would fit.
Posted By: Lani G Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 09-21-2008 11:14 PM
Now, see? You all have helped me already. I suffer from a horribly, unbelievably dry mouth, but didn't like the Biotine stuff they gave me then. I've been joking to friends that I ought to carry a can of Pam cooking spray - especially if I get my teeth. I'm so glad I found this site. I'm surrounded by family and friends, but have been pretty isolated for the last almost 2 years from others who are dealing with these issues. I've got Biotine spray on my shopping list. Thank you!
Posted By: Dr. Mike Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 09-21-2008 11:21 PM
Lani G,
Go to ther biotene web site and send them an e-mail and they will load you up with free samples.
Welcome to the site.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Lani G Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 09-21-2008 11:54 PM
Mike,
I will tonight. Thank you. This makes me less wary of the false teeth, IF I can get them. It would be terrible to go through another surgery and hyperbolic treatments so far from home for them and find out that I can't use them.
This stuff might also help with my sleep problem. I usually wake up after 1 1/2 to 2 hours from the dryness that goes all the way down my throat and windpipe to my collarbone. I take a sip of water and a shot from my inhaler, but can't get back to sleep for another couple of hours.

Teeth and moisture will help with my eating problems (though swallowing is still a challenge) and if I can eat more I should gain more weight and have more energy. Wow! Things could maybe get a lot better. I was already pretty thankful for my status quo.

Lani
Posted By: debandbill Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 09-22-2008 01:23 AM
Lani,

Someone posted a while back that they use a spray bottle of water at night..just keep it at their bedside and spritz water when they are dry. I thought that was a great idea...you could almost stay in a prone position and spritz away before you get too awake.

It was just a thought along with the use of the Biotene products which, if I understand correctly, not only help with moisture but replace enzymes necessary for good oral health.

Glad you found this board...it will be such a help physically and mentally.

Deb
Posted By: Pete D Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 09-22-2008 12:36 PM
I also found that the Biotene chewing gum would help produce saliva during the day.

Strange thing now that I have my "new" tongue constructed from my wrist tissue is that dry mouth at night and in the morning doesn't bother me as much. It sure does make a difference in my speech clarity if my mouth is either too dry or too wet.
Posted By: Eileen Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 09-22-2008 09:16 PM
Don't forget the humidifier by the bed at night. This should also help with the dry mouth. Try to find one that isn't too noisy. I had to replace mine and bought the same brand and the new one kept me awake. Since I'm no longer bone dry, I don't need one.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Eileen Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 12-10-2008 09:31 PM
Dr. Mike,
I'd like to get a box of free Biotene samples sent to my Mom. Where do I go on their website to do this? There seems to be a section for you doctors but not one for us patients. Do I just click on the link at the bottom of that section and send an email requesting free samples. If so, what dept should it go to?

Thanks,
Eileen
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 12-11-2008 05:21 AM
The samples boxes that people got, were given away when they were doing a survey of our board members a while back, as a thank you for participating. I know they are not doing that anymore. But they do give away small bags of VERY small samples still, usually by giving them to treating institutions to give out to new patients. I do not believe that they do this over their web site.
Posted By: Eileen Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 12-11-2008 07:23 PM
Phooey, I was hoping to get Mom a sample box like I had. I had taken a mouthwash and toothpaste sample down when I visited her last year and she apparnently liked them so much she is now asking for Biotene for a Christmas present. I was hoping to surprise her with a sample box. Thanks for the info Brian.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: EzJim Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 12-12-2008 12:07 AM
That seems like the perfect gift for your mom. The large size is $5.97 for the mouthwash and about the same for the toothpaste. I don't have any teeth but do brush all of my mouth inside . What a difference it makes. Tell her Merry Christmas for all of our family.
Posted By: Pete D Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 12-12-2008 01:12 AM
I have a couple of different tongue scrapers to try and deal with whatever that cottage cheese-looking stuf is that forms on my tongue.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 12-12-2008 02:47 AM

At the hospital where I was treated the radiation dept gave me some sample packs of biotene products. They were very tiny samples only about 1oz.

Pete...
Did you ever have thrush? Check the insides of your cheeks too.
Posted By: azcallin Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 12-12-2008 05:30 AM
Pete - white stuff on your tongue, would that not be thrush / yeast? i would have it tested to see because it most likely is and you need to get that tended to ... trust me on this one ... i had it and they did not diagnose it for a coons age and it got down my throat and made it where i could not swallow anything until they treated it... dont want to see that happen to you
Posted By: Pete D Re: Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray - 12-12-2008 05:52 AM
I was listening when a child, disguised as a doctor, asked Dr Haakenslash if the stuf was thrush and he said no -- He had a name for it -- I also asked again this visit, seeking Nystatin, but we kinda got sidetracked with the need for a biopsy... However, I am sure that if it were thrush, he would have been treating it so it wouldn't mess up surgery if I need it.

I just love this waiting stuf, all the anticipation and alternate plans!! I have a branch coming up Monday where I will go to surgery or I will have my prostate fixed, depending on the biopsy results! Both of those are GOOD plans when one considers some of the alternatives...
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum