Posted By: Andrew111 PET/CT- how often following treatment - 11-21-2012 12:43 AM
I'm trying to get hold of my records to see how many of these PET/CT scans I've had. But I'm also curious. What kind of schedule are you on post-treatment?
Posted By: Cheryld Re: PET/CT- how often following treatment - 11-21-2012 04:03 PM
Mine said after 2 clear scans... NO MORE... I go to my family dr. every 6-8 months to have them done. ;o) I also have check ups every three months.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: PET/CT- how often following treatment - 11-23-2012 02:46 PM
Only had one PET pre Tx.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: PET/CT- how often following treatment - 11-23-2012 06:27 PM
Kris has had none post surgery.
I asked that question last week. The docs said that his anatomy is so changed that a scan would be impossible to interpret .
I'm happy with that. They are too stressful. Last year his PET was clear, only to have a reoccurrence a few months later .so, why bother. I think symptoms are the way to go. Pain and /or bleeding - of which he has none.
Tammy
Posted By: DonB Re: PET/CT- how often following treatment - 11-24-2012 04:26 PM
Andrew,
I was also treated in the summer of 2008 and I have had four follow-up PET/CT scans.

My last one was in July of 2011, nearly a year and half ago and no more are planned.

The only reason for the fourth and last scan was precautionary since I had an Unknown Primary.
Posted By: PaulB Re: PET/CT- how often following treatment - 11-24-2012 11:28 PM
I read it's one PET or CT preferably after 6 months, no later than a year. Really no standard number for PET's every year or other scans after that, but ENT exams, yes. Doctors rely on the physical exam mostly, and scopes, and if something is suspicious then a scan maybe. I had 8 PET/CT scans in three years, a few CT's, and two MRI's.
Posted By: timothy6003 Re: PET/CT- how often following treatment - 11-25-2012 01:40 AM
After tx (3mo) I had a PET/CT May 2012 it came back with a few hot spots but belived to be rad affexts. August 2012 I had a CT with contrast head/neck only, came back ned.

November CT neck only...clear, but onco / radiologist saw some stuff just in the left upper lung...so they did a full lung CT w contrast...onco thinks its infection....but I go back in 6 weeks for a rescan of lungs CT w/ contrast. I took Levaquinn for 7 days 500mg.

I also had a lung X-ray September 2012 due to cough, came back clear at that time.

I also had an MRI of the brain due to severe heaches in June 2012...came back clear.

The insurance company denied a PET this November (I understand why) but did approve the CT of neck only.

I get a monthly scope from my ENT (who is not affiliated with my onco, cancer center) and I also get a almost monthly scope from my onco.

I personally don't know what is normal care...I am however the "very engaged type, but always nice" and I ask for the monthly scope and the ENT has obliged so far.

I have just pulled my recoreds and will going to the UW/SCCA center in Seattle for an appt Dec. 13th bc I want follow up care and 2nd opinion on this lung thingy that is going on.

I do know there is a link (someone on here probably has it) National Cancer Institue has the guidelines for follow up care. To me they seem a bit weak...but that's me.

Posted By: Bette Re: PET/CT- how often following treatment - 11-25-2012 04:41 PM
My husband otolaryngologist that did his lary saw him every month for 1 year. Every 2 months for the next year and he had just progressed to every three months when the third cancer appeared. As far as scans go and scopes go, more is better in my book.
Posted By: David2 Re: PET/CT- how often following treatment - 11-25-2012 10:59 PM
PET-CT every 6 months for first two years post-rads and surgery.

Now it's once a year and I believe my RO said that after 5 years total I wouldn't need any more. (sob..... I'll miss her!)

I also see my ENT every 3-4 months for a quick peek.
Posted By: emilyp Re: PET/CT- how often following treatment - 11-25-2012 11:23 PM
I got a CT and chest x-ray every 3 months for the first year, but I am moving to once every 4 months for my second year. I think if all scans are clear, I will continue to have CT scans/chest x-rays twice a year after that until I reach 5 years, then once a year going forward. It's weird how there is no real standard, I guess it just depends on your doctor's discretion.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum