Posted By: patrick2128 humidifier - 09-18-2011 04:15 PM
dose anyone use a humidifier at night to help moisten their nose and mouth for sleeping and if so how does it work for you. whith the colder weather coming and the dry air i'm having trouble with my nose drying out and not being able to breath. if i breath through my mouth it just dries it out even more. I can't sleep now as is. I can only get about 5-6 hrs of sleep a nite. should I be on sleep meds? pat
Posted By: Maria Re: humidifire (sp) - 09-18-2011 04:30 PM
The humidifier worked well for my husband last winter. I just got it out again (thanks for reminding me) as the weather is getting cooler and the furnace is on. Ours is a Honeywell Invisible Mist Humidifier. You might also try the various Biotene products. Good luck!
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: humidifire (sp) - 09-18-2011 09:45 PM
Patrick - My son used a humidifier plus a plant mister (spray bottle for plants with a finer spray than regular spray bottles) which he would spray his mouth with and allowed him to not wake up fully and get back to sleep. For a while he also slept in a recliner.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: humidifire (sp) - 09-19-2011 02:53 AM
Me too - I used a humidifier ! It helped . Try it see if it works for you. Sleep meds are up to you. It depends on what is keeping you up. Is it pain? Discomfort? Dry mouth? Sleep meds may help but are you feeling over tired? Sometimes if you sleep a lot during the day you're just not tired. If you figure out why you can't sleep then maybe you can fiure out a solution without using sleep meds. Take care!
Posted By: Sal Re: humidifire (sp) - 09-19-2011 12:27 PM
That sounds like a really good idea and will suggest that to my husband, he also uses a humidifier.
Posted By: EzJim Re: humidifire (sp) - 09-27-2011 12:17 PM
I have used a humidifier in cold months as well as the dehumidifier in hot ones. I just put 4 new filters in the hunidifier for when the furnaces starts running. This is a necessity as far as I am concerned and sure makes breathing much easuer. In stead of buying the humidifier treatment, buy Pool Algacide buy the gallon and save a few bucks. Just don't overadd it. It's actually Chlorine.
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: humidifire (sp) - 09-27-2011 09:13 PM
Hi Patrick

I found that a humidifier was absolutely essential and still use one to this day. I started with the Cool Mist units, graduated to the warm mist ones (worked MUCH better) and finally had one installed in my central AC/Heating system. No need for it during the summer but it gets really dry in the winter when it is not operating. The other benefits, no more static electricity and shocking myself every-time I walk across the carpet, and I can keep the thermostat set at a cooler temperature and still be very comfortable.

Kevin

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum