Posted By: DSCRANE Talking and throat issues - 03-25-2011 11:46 PM
Hi all

Well Bob is 2 weeks done with treatment. He is troubled by his lack of speach. He says he can't talk and when he tries the pain is so bad that he won't speak again till the next day. My question is,about how long does this last?

thanks Deb
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Talking and throat issues - 03-26-2011 05:28 AM
Deb, Im sorry Bob is in pain when he tries to talk. I lost my voice for about 3 weeks. Not only was it too painful to talk but I had no voice at above a whisper. Is he taking pain meds? If not, maybe that would help. Of course we all respond in own own unique way to medication, procedures and treatments. It should be very soon Bob will start to begin feeling better. That usually takes about 2-3 weeks after treatments have finished. It will be a long process, 2 steps forward and 1 back for then next few weeks. Most doctors will say it will take one month of recovery for every week of radiation. Bob could take even longer, he went thru extensive surgery prior to undergoing rads. Wishing both of you all the best and a speedy recovery.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Talking and throat issues - 03-26-2011 12:27 PM
I lost my voice for about a week and I had a bell that I used VERY OFTEN. Never have seen that bell since but I have heard stories....
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Talking and throat issues - 03-26-2011 02:15 PM
Deb

I wish the doctors would spell out for oral cancer patients that yes, it's perfectly normal for you to lose your voice for a couple of weeks after TX. Mine didn't, and I assume yours did not based on the post.

My experience was right in line with Christine and David except that my wife would not let me ring a bell or anything like that.
It was very very hard for me not to be able to talk at all and even more frustrating for my wife since I was constantly scribbling things I wanted to convey on phone calls. It took me a full month before I could actually speak in my new normal.
Charm
Posted By: DSCRANE Re: Talking and throat issues - 03-26-2011 07:34 PM
Thanks all of you. I get frustrated with Bob when he doesn't answer me. I realize that he can't talk, so I get down on my self for being angry with him. We are very happy to hear that it is a temporary side effect.

Deb
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Talking and throat issues - 03-27-2011 12:34 AM
Deb - I know how you must be feeling. My son lost his voice, too and said it was too painful to talk. We used a lot of improvised sign language (thumbs up, down, shoulder shrugs, etc.) so much so that his daughter started using it with me, as well. It was almost comical sometimes when Paul would get angry with me for not understanding him. He would try so hard to express anger and it just wasn't working! For some reason his frustrated attempt at expressing anger kind of struck me funny but I was very careful not to even smile because I knew he was so serious. I would try to just use yes or no questions or give him choices where he could hold up 1, 2, or 3 fingers. It can be so frustrating for both patient and caregiver. It does get better, though.
Posted By: Carmen M Re: Talking and throat issues - 03-27-2011 02:55 AM
I lost my voice also for about 3 weeks. However, I acquired a bicycle horn - much to the dimay of my husband and son. Along with the loss of my voice, I just felt so crappy that I didn't want to use the energy to talk. It will get better.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Talking and throat issues - 03-27-2011 12:52 PM
A pad and pen came in very handy.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Talking and throat issues - 03-27-2011 02:58 PM
I agree with the pad and pen. I had them but afer the 1st time using them, I just forced myself to talk ad the pain was nmo worse. It's like when I worked, If I flet bad from Phneumonia or anything else. I would tell my wife that I was going to work as I hurt no worse working than. You can surprise yourself as to what you are capable of. I'm not tough, just a hardhead.
Posted By: David2 Re: Talking and throat issues - 03-27-2011 05:05 PM
Ah, the virtues of living alone. I lost my voice for a good 2 months although I got fairly adept at whispering. When I had the energy. Either way the mice in the walls didn't seem to care.

d2
Posted By: Michelle Ann Re: Talking and throat issues - 03-30-2011 10:56 PM
I feel for your husband. I logged on today to ask some of the same things. My last radiation was 3/21 and I feel worse than I ever did during treatment. The advice others gave you helped me a lot. I send healing thoughts your way. -Michelle
Posted By: Michelle Ann Re: Talking and throat issues - 04-05-2011 11:35 PM
I am 2 and a half weeks post TX and still can't talk. Each morning I say good morning to myself in a low grumble as drool and mucus and gunk trickle out. I use pen and paper to "talk." Not good for the five year old twins who can't read, but works with others. Good luck. I also wish my doc had said something about speech. -Michelle
Posted By: luv4lacrosse Re: Talking and throat issues - 04-19-2011 01:14 PM
I had 2 episodes of loss of voice. One during treatment and the other a month or so after treatment. I had Thrush both times and was extremely dehydrated. It is very aggrivating but it will pass.

Do your best to stay hydrated and keep the vocal cords moist.

Best!!

Mike
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum