Posted By: lorileona No negative posts please! - 04-28-2009 12:32 AM
I hope I speak for a lot of people when I say that I come here to relax, talk with friends, learn new information, read stories, and re-energize for our cancer fight. Could we please stop the negative posts? I don't want to come here and read arguments that smokers deserve what they get, read about relationships that should remain private, PEG vs. no PEG, etc. We all have a finite amount of energy, lets not waste it!
Love and peace to you all,
Lori
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: No negative posts please! - 04-28-2009 01:21 PM
After reading this post by Lori I just could not pass this up, despite the fact that it may indicate that I may fit one or more of the categories described in the article.

http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,163734/printable.html

enjoy
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: No negative posts please! - 04-28-2009 02:00 PM
Great post Kevin for those who don't like to cut and paste, here is the clickable link: It takes a Village idiot

Lori
do you see a bit of the PeaceKeeper style in your post? I plead guilty to slamming conspiracy posters and am unrepentant and will continue to do so as they pollute the forum. However, I will make an extra effort not to sink to the Antagonizer level
I did laugh at the Smarty Pants description because I am in proximate danger of succumbing.
As I have posted many times, one of the many things I LOVE about this OCF forum is that Brian, Gary etc do such a great job of moderating and locking down the nut cases peddling bogus cures or well meaning but utterly misguided true believers of the "secret cure' suppressed by big Pharm or the FDA. Plus the wonderful posters themselves all deserve a big pat on the back for NOT being any of the terrible twelve listed in this article.
Posted By: lorileona Re: No negative posts please! - 04-28-2009 06:42 PM
I'm sorry if I upset anyone. I certainly don't want to be known as the village idiot because I care about everyone here. I read a very ugly post last night that has now been removed, that is what got me upset. If trying to be Peacemaker is wrong, then I guess I am guilty as charged.
Lori
Posted By: Lostpassword Re: No negative posts please! - 04-28-2009 07:05 PM
I'm sure each and every one of us can identify with at least ONE of the aforementioned "Village Idiots" although I might be a closet "smarty pants" as I have so wanted to correct all those nice folks who spell tongue, "tounge", but I figured there are much more important things on their minds, so I will remain in the closet. : ) JaneP.
Posted By: EzJim Re: No negative posts please! - 04-28-2009 08:32 PM
Come out of the closet . Someone removed the door so we can see you.LOL I am the worst typer in the forums and admit to it. BNut I bet I can spell as good as anyone here, just can't make the keys go down in the right order. As for the post , I am probably the guilty one and I had asked before anyone could read it to be removed. If I can say it I can also appologize for it. We all love everyone here and deeply. We have lost a lot of great friends over the past couple of years and it hurts each and everytime. I can be the village idiot , the village clown or the protector of everyone. I Luv Ya All..
Posted By: BarbT Re: No negative posts please! - 04-28-2009 08:34 PM
THANKS LORI,,, THIS IS NO PLACE FOR THE THINGS I HAVE READ ON HERE THE LAST FEW DAYS...THANKS AGAIN
Posted By: lorileona Re: No negative posts please! - 04-28-2009 11:32 PM
Thanks Barb,
I appreciate it. smile
Lori
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: No negative posts please! - 04-29-2009 01:17 AM
Lori

I read the posts that you are referring to before they were deleted.

I agree with what you're message is referring to regarding those particular posts.

You and Ron are in my thoughts often.

Take care

Karen

Posted By: Pete D Re: No negative posts please! - 04-29-2009 01:36 AM
I didn't see the posts in question, but sometimes a little almost-heated discussion brings out some useful facts (A guy I worked for in a former life told me that a sergeant he worked for in USAF told him that the way to find stuf out was to get the other guy in a warm [not heated] argument because he will trot out all he knows to win).

I know we've all learned a lot about PEGs, for example, and there used to be some pretty strong opinions for and against, so it can't all be Hearts & Flowers!

As with any internet group, if someone posts mildly disagreeable stuf, don't read any more from them, and if strongly disagreeable, report to moderator. Sometimes people post to get a response (aka trolling) and the most effective way to deal with them is ignore them.
Posted By: lorileona Re: No negative posts please! - 04-29-2009 01:47 AM
Hi Karen,
Thanks for agreeing with me that they were inappropriate. I think of you often too. Have you had any implants done yet? How is your tongue?
Hi Pete,
I agree that it can't all be hearts & flowers, but this was no troller. This was an old timer with a grudge against someone and it was very personal. I would respond the same way again if I had to. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Lori
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: No negative posts please! - 04-29-2009 03:13 AM
Interesting thread. Astute observations. Most importantly many posts from people who genuinely care about the forum and the purpose it was intended to serve.

I have to admit that I see myself in some of the bad examples. My father who knew me all too well, told never to seek employment in the diplomatic corps, as I would starve to death. I also, after being the original first poster, forget that while I don't monitor the forum every day, I have read and seen it all here before for the most part. Without knowing it, the information that I have gleaned from many really good posters often comes out of me as if it were an original thought..... which I well know I have very few of. I'm glad someone put up the list.
Posted By: Mark Re: No negative posts please! - 04-29-2009 03:43 AM
Sure I'm guilty of most of those.

I might add one other type of forum/blogger; the kind that neatly slot every other contributor as this type or that type. Obviously leaving just one personality type left. (his or her own).

The thing that makes these forums best is that we all exhibit some (if not all) of those character traits from time to time, and with a measured mix of sanity we actually can accomplish a mission.

The remaining personality type: The last poster wink

Posted By: Brian Hill Re: No negative posts please! - 04-29-2009 05:20 AM
Well here's a post to mess up your desire to be that!!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: No negative posts please! - 04-29-2009 10:29 AM
I dont like the negative posts either. With going thru such awful treatments and feeling so sick this is the last place to turn to for hope. I try to be positive and encouraging to everyone even those with different ideas. I dont know about the negative posts you were talking about, hope they werent mine. I wish everyone the best in their lives and treatments.
Posted By: EzJim Re: No negative posts please! - 04-29-2009 11:21 AM
I am probably the poster they mean Christine. But once you hit send, it's like a bucket of water, once you pour it on hot concrete or on the ground it dissapates and is gone forever and too late to put it back in the bucket. I see some of the replys are being overdone too.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: No negative posts please! - 04-29-2009 01:17 PM
Lori

I certainly was not offended by your post, I found it interesting and a good discussion point. I must have missed the posts you were talking about as I had been away from the forum except for a quick look see due to multiple rehabilitation sessions trying to swallow again and lift my left shoulder.
Sometimes, a little negative though is positive - I know in the PEG issue, I did a complete turnaround - like Saul to Paul
as a result of the heated discussions plus being forced to get one. Gee, now I am curious what posts were so bad -
Charm
Posted By: Lostpassword Re: No negative posts please! - 04-29-2009 02:06 PM
ChristineB - Your posts are the most cheery and positive in here. I have been wanting to mention that to you for a long time, and this dialogue just opened the opportunity. Thanks for being YOU! smile JaneP.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: No negative posts please! - 04-29-2009 03:23 PM
Lori

Just rereading this thread, and now realize I should have changed the title that the PC Magazine used - I think they were trying (and failed) to do a pun on Hillary Clinton's "It takes a village to raise a child" with their Village Idiot title. I certainly did not mean to imply that trying to bring civility to the board or caring about people is idiotic. I just cut and pasted the title directly from their article. This is one time I should have given in to my Smarty Pants urges and renamed it something like: "A Dozen Don't Bees" (in homage to the old Romper room: do bees and don't bees portion on playing nicely)
charm
Posted By: EzJim Re: No negative posts please! - 04-29-2009 05:44 PM
LOL Charm, you sure can come up with the sayings, I luv it. Don't ever change because I sure can't and I have to be me not some damn clone.
Posted By: lorileona Re: No negative posts please! - 04-29-2009 07:09 PM
Hi all,
I loved Romper Room! Wow, that dates me a little too much. As for this thread, as far as I am concerned, it can be put to bed. I spoke with the person and everything is alright now. I know that sometimes we should count to 10 before hitting send, and maybe I should have done that as well. I truly appreciate everyone here, and am so thankful for all of the conversations we have had.
Sincerely,
Lori
Posted By: misskate Re: No negative posts please! - 04-29-2009 07:31 PM
I couldn't agree more! We have enough to deal with that to come here and be affronted by negativity.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum