Posted By: Cookey 2 years on - 02-20-2009 11:46 AM
2 years ago today,my first post.God how naive i was then.
Thanks Brian and all my family here for guiding our way,and helping me to become a better human being (i think lol).David as i have said before your honesty was and continues to be quite brutal at first glance,but so very very honest..

[quote]Hi my name is Liz and my husband Robin is 44 years old and about to embark on the roller coaster ride that is radiotherapy.He was diagnosed with primary scc of the right side of the tongue and a secondary tumour on the left side of his jaw and neck on December 8th.Since then he has had the primary removed with laser therapy, had a bilateral radical neck dissection and removal of the secondary tumour.This treatment is being finished of with six weeks off radiotherapy to both sides of his mouth and the floor.This was decided to be the best treatment because tests and scans have not revealed how the cancer spread from the right to the left side so they do not actually know if they have got all the cells.I am a long since retired SRN and have read a great deal about radiotherapy and i would be very grateful for any tips,help and advice on how to deal with internal and external side effects of this
aggressive treatment.
Robin is a blue eyed fair skinned red head,will this make skin damage worse?What are the best cremes and lotions to use,what should we avoid?How long before eating becomes difficult .Does it hurt? will he be able to work?(he is a plumber)i have a million questions maybe someother peoples experiences will help me to help him.I would be grateful
[/quote]
Posted By: davidcpa Re: 2 years on - 02-20-2009 02:30 PM
Liz,

I never mean to be brutal but I do want people to understand the bottom line and sometimes you just can't sugar coat the realities of this horrible cancer and it's equally barbaric treatment.
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: 2 years on - 02-20-2009 05:49 PM
Amazing that so much has happened in two years. You are SUCH an inspiration to all of us, through your trials and your grief you are always there for other caregivers and patients.

Donna
Posted By: Cookey Re: 2 years on - 02-20-2009 06:25 PM
David when i reread that sentence i realised it wasn't quite meant to sound that way i am sorry.The word i think i wanted was blunt.something us yorkshire folk are famous for lol.

whatever the word i want doesn't change the fact that i love and respect you and your continued dedication to this forum.

hugs liz
Posted By: davidcpa Re: 2 years on - 02-20-2009 10:30 PM
hugs back and I knew it was just your accent.
Posted By: Good1 Re: 2 years on - 02-21-2009 01:15 AM
Liz

I know that we all benefit from the knowledge that you have to share with us today. Thank you.

Patty
Posted By: wilckdds Re: 2 years on - 02-21-2009 03:44 AM
Liz,

It seems like just yesterday that you came into our lives. Your love for and devotion to Robin has inspired so many of us. The tenacity that you showed in the way you handled the legal issues surrounding Robin's diagnosis and treatment has shown a inner strength that not too many people have.

We are fortunate that you continue visit the board and I hope that you will continue to do so for many years to come.

Jerry
Posted By: Gabe Re: 2 years on - 02-21-2009 07:36 AM
I remember reading all your posts when I came to this site around 6 months later.
Still read them all now as it is wonderful that you are still here and helping others.
Hugs back at ya
Gabriele
Posted By: debandbill Re: 2 years on - 02-21-2009 03:26 PM
Liz,

After Bill's DX in July of 2007, I started researching everything I could get my hands on and found OCF. I was in a state of total shock...how could my Bill, an otherwise healthy man, have cancer?? Your blog helped to lift me out of my paralyzed state and made me realize that this was something that I was going to have to tackle with everything I had..I had to do it now and I couldn't sit back and wait for someone to do this for me or Bill.

I, of course, was horrified at the state of Robin's health and questioned how you were able to stay strong faced with all that was coming at you. I now realize that there was no other choice.

What I am trying to say is, that in the midst of your darkness, you were helping me do what needed to be done to save Bill's life. I am grateful.

Hugs, Deb
Posted By: mhupe Re: 2 years on - 02-22-2009 04:38 AM
My dear Liz,

I still remember my first post and how quickly you reached out to help me. And, how you were there with me through the highs and lows.

You were an incredible caregiver, Liz. Robin was lucky to have you by his side.

Thank you for helping me, admist your own struggles. with this damned disease. You are one amazing person!

Posted By: lorileona Re: 2 years on - 02-23-2009 12:39 AM
Dear Liz,
I agree with the other posters that say you're amazing! You have been through the worst this disease has to offer, and yet you remain here to help others. I only hope I have a portion of your strength in the days to come.
Love,
Lori
Posted By: JAM Re: 2 years on - 02-24-2009 01:23 AM
Well, Cookey, my friend, we both have an anniversary of sorts to deal with, don't we. And deal we will!!. Amy
Posted By: Cookey Re: 2 years on - 02-24-2009 03:23 AM
Hey amy
yes you passed the 2nd anniversary of your loss yesterday and in a few months i will reach mine.Where does the time go?And still we return to this safe haven don't we.
I have been attending a bereavement group for the last three weeks,and am finding my self dealing with things i have tried very hard to ignore for the last 18months.I am not sure if it is helping as yet,but i hope it will.

peace to you Amy

love liz

Posted By: mhupe Re: 2 years on - 02-24-2009 03:56 AM
Amy,

I think about you often. How are you doing? I hate that you and Liz have such sad anniversaries to mark. You two were my caregiver rocks when I didn't think I could do the job. I know your spouses aren't here with you. (*Damn It*) But, I know they are smiling down at you from heaven, knowing they were lucky enough to marry two of the nicest women who ever were.

In a couple of months it will be two years from Dan's diagnosis. And, two years since I met you two on the boards. And, for all the rest of my years I will always admire the two of you!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum