Posted By: Christine Helen's surgery - 08-12-2004 08:39 PM
I am not sure if Helen's brothter intends to post for her, but I wanted everyone to know that he emailed me to say Helen's surgery went "as expected" and it lasted 8 hours. She is currently in intensive care. He got to see her for a bit yesterday and today; she gave him the thumbs up sign and has been communicating by head movements and notes. Whooohooo, Helen!

More prayers to you, Helen!
Christine
Posted By: aussieh Re: Helen's surgery - 08-12-2004 09:00 PM
I am with you Helen. Lots of love from Helen in Oz.
Posted By: AzTarHeel Re: Helen's surgery - 08-12-2004 09:41 PM
we're all pulling for you and praying for you Helen...
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: Helen's surgery - 08-12-2004 09:49 PM
Thanks for the update on Helen. "Let the Healing Begin" Ditto on the prayers coming at you Helen!!

Danny Boy
Posted By: Miss Vicki Re: Helen's surgery - 08-13-2004 12:06 AM
Helen, We are all pulling for you, you and your family are in our thoughts and our prayers. God Bless you, Miss Vicki....
Posted By: nancyt Re: Helen's surgery - 08-13-2004 06:10 AM
Way to go Helen! Hang in there - it does get better and we're anxious to have you back here with us. Take good care of yourself and don't give the nurses and doctors too hard a time! smile

Prayers coming your way,

Nancy
Posted By: Kris Re: Helen's surgery - 08-13-2004 12:05 PM
Helen! We are praying for you every step of the way! Looking forward to seeing your posts soon, too! Love and prayers, Kris

PS to Christine- email these posts over to Helen's brother so he can take a copy to the hospital. Just in case she doesn't get her lap top going soon.
Posted By: Sabrina Re: Helen's surgery - 08-13-2004 04:15 PM
I have goose bumps from the news! Keep up the great work Helen! We're all pulling for you!

Sabrina
Posted By: KirkGeorgia Re: Helen's surgery - 08-13-2004 04:19 PM
Helen, Here's prayers from across the pond to a speedy recovery and a thank you Lord for guiding the hands and hearts of the medical team. Get better soon so the red grape can tremble in fear.
Lots of love,
and kind
Posted By: Christine Re: Helen's surgery - 08-13-2004 05:56 PM
Another update: Helen is out of intensive care, and she got out of bed four times today. She's been joking and cutting up. Such great news! Way to go Helen. We love you, girl!

Kris, I'll send these to her brother ASAP. Great idea. I don't think Helen has internet access at the hospital.

Christine
Posted By: Christine Re: Helen's surgery - 08-13-2004 06:03 PM
PS--I'll send updated messages to Helen's brother again tomorrow (Saturday) evening, so if anyone wants to add messages here, Helen will hopefully get them over the weekend.

Christine
Posted By: Debbie Domer/Caregiver Re: Helen's surgery - 08-13-2004 10:29 PM
Hey Helen,
Praise God for you getting thru the surgery! I am praying for you everyday and that all goes well. I am now living in Alabama, been here a week. Sure do miss Maryland and my boys, but Dan started back to work this week. It's been a bit hard and he's very tired, but things are so much better than 6 months ago. I am trying to find my way around Birmingham...I am on a first name basis with the people at Super Wal-Mart here! That's scary!!
You take care, girlfriend, and know that you have many people praying and thinking about you!
Love,
Debbie
Posted By: minniea Re: Helen's surgery - 08-13-2004 11:48 PM
Hi Helen,
I hear through the "grapevine" that you are doing very, very well with your surgery. I didn't expect anything less. I'm so happy to hear that you are making such good progress. I have a feeling that particular hospital will never be the same again!
Love,
Minnie
Posted By: Carol L Re: Helen's surgery - 08-14-2004 12:44 PM
Hi Helen, I am so grateful to read that you are doing very well, you go girl!!! Love, Carol
Posted By: Marica Re: Helen's surgery - 08-14-2004 07:23 PM
Wonderful wonderful news...hang in there sassenach!
Cheers
Marica
Posted By: helens brother Re: Helen's surgery - 08-15-2004 02:56 PM
hi everybody i'm mick, helens brother i am now able to log on myself and have printed off all the messages so far and taken them to helen who read them last night after we had left, i could see from her face that she was pleased to get them so i thank you on behalf of my big sister for all your love and encouragement.
she is doing well she is out of itc and in a room in the high dependency unit she is off oxygen and some of her drains have been removed but she still has her tracheotomy tube so we are communicating with helen repling with written notes as she cannot hold her laptop yet she has been out of bed to sit in her chair but no walking yet i will keep you all informed every 2/3 days or so as i get time thank you all again
Mick.
Posted By: nancyt Re: Helen's surgery - 08-15-2004 06:32 PM
Hi Mick,

Thanks for the update on Helen. Sounds like she's coming along nicely and good to hear that she's out of bed, off the oxygen and some of her drains have been removed. Tell Helen to hang in there - we're all pulling for her for a speedy recovery. My prayers are will all of you.

Hugs, Nancy
Posted By: PackersVoice Re: Helen's surgery - 08-16-2004 11:11 AM
Just back on line after 6 month vacation and move to Alabama...........checked OCF first, just to find out Helen has had surgery, please let her know know the Wicked Witch of the South wants her to hang in there and many prayer are headed her way......................Love and Hugs, Dee
Posted By: Mark Re: Helen's surgery - 08-16-2004 03:21 PM
Thanks for the update Mick!
Posted By: KirkGeorgia Re: Helen's surgery - 08-16-2004 05:51 PM
Mick, Welcome to the site. Thank you so much for updating us on your big sisters progress. We all wish her well, more than I can describe. She has been a faithful friend to all of us and we pray for her wellbeing, strength and recovery.
Posted By: Christine Re: Helen's surgery - 08-16-2004 07:12 PM
Welcome, Mick,

I'm so glad Helen's condition is improving. I'm glad she was able to get our messages. Thank you for being a sweet brother!

Here's a message for you Helen: I've bought MORE SHOES in the hopes that I'll feel better and maybe you can feel better vicariously. I discovered a NINE WEST store in nearby Winston-Salem....You know how I have a Nine West shoe thang....and girl, I finally found my favorite Australian Merlot at Kroger. I stocked up. I am having a glass in your honor as I write this.

Get better, OK? We miss you around here.

Love and hugs to you,
Christine
Posted By: aussieh Re: Helen's surgery - 08-17-2004 01:26 AM
Wonderful to hear that Helen is improving. Boy, does that woman have attitude! Can't wait for her sunshine to grace the board again. Love from Helen in Oz cool
Posted By: Uptown Re: Helen's surgery - 08-17-2004 01:13 PM
Welcome Mick,

It is great to have you in the neighborhood, too. You till your sister I am praying fervently for her and wish her the speediest recovery. This time, it is me sending her the sunshine and hugs!

Ed
Posted By: helens brother Re: Helen's surgery - 08-17-2004 03:41 PM
hi again everybody Helen has had her tracheotomy out today and she is TALKING!! and she sounds the same as ever. she has to have a swallow test tomorrow and this is ok and there are no other problems she is hoping to come home on Friday and this is only the sixth day since her op
thank you all again
MIck.
Posted By: Eileen Re: Helen's surgery - 08-17-2004 06:12 PM
Goodness, that was quick. I thought she said 17 days in the hospital.

I am so glad she is recuperating so quickly and now talking. Not being able to talk is the pits in the hospital whne you are trying to tell the nurses something.

Hope they use her red wine for the swallow test. Bet she could get that down.

Tell her to take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Carol L Re: Helen's surgery - 08-18-2004 09:51 AM
Good for Helen, this is awesome news!!!! Cannot wait til she is up to posting again! God Bless! Carol
Posted By: gita Re: Helen's surgery - 08-20-2004 08:57 AM
more sunshine to you, helen, and to you, mick. good thoughts for healing and peace.
gita
Posted By: helens brother Re: Helen's surgery - 08-26-2004 04:50 PM
hi all sorry iv'e not had time to report back as Helen came home on Monday and iv'e been rushed off my feet at home and work. But she is doing really well. she has her pc back on line so i'm sure she'll post something herself soon. But i would like to say the biggest thank you to you all for your messages, you cannot appreciate how much they have helped me cope with Helen's surgery, to know that there are other people out there who know what i'm going through was so helpful. I did'nt know about this web site and i've been having a good read and it has helped enourmously take care all of you and a final big thankyou Mick. Helen's little brother.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum