Posted By: ChristineB Sad day today! - 09-16-2013 05:33 PM
It is with a heavy heart that I must pass along the news of another one of our flock passing away. Brendan Hanavan lost his long battle with oral cancer today and passed away at home. Brendan's sister Deirdre notified me and asked me to pass this sad news along. Here is what she wrote to me and Cheryl.....

My brother Brendan Hanavan died peacefully at home today after an unbelievably courageous fight against a vile and aggressive form of oral cancer . He was so brave and uncomplaining right to the end . It is a truly dreadful disease and the open tumour on his neck was horrific . I know he found great comfort and encouragement from the OCF and I cannot praise the professionalism of this site too much. I don't know the correct procedure to pass on this news but I know that you and Cheryl were such a support to him over the last 2 years. Deirdre

Here is the link to Brendan's profile where you can read his posts.

Brendan's profile
Posted By: undiagnosed Re: Sad day today! - 09-16-2013 07:50 PM
I found some more info here:

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/rugby/fylde-mourn-death-of-brendan-hanavan-1-6054815

Posted By: Uptown Re: Sad day today! - 09-17-2013 12:07 AM
Well that just sucks. It always hurts. RIP Brendan. It is just horrible so many have lost their lives to this dreaded disease.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Sad day today! - 09-17-2013 02:33 AM
frown this disease sucks so bad... frown rip Brendan much love and many prayers to his family for their loss.
Posted By: julieann Re: Sad day today! - 09-17-2013 05:03 AM
Rest in Peace, Brendan. Prayers going out to his family.
Julieann
Posted By: EzJim Re: Sad day today! - 09-17-2013 02:04 PM
Brendan was a fighter like mot of us. I pray he is looking down and praying for each of us. I find it odd that people with OC don't complain as much as others . We suffer the most horrendous change in our looks and most are not recognized by friends we have know for years.As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Mut be we don't squeak loud enough.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Sad day today! - 09-17-2013 02:25 PM
I agree. This cancer has a high mortality rate, it can be incredibly debilitating - in the short term and long term as well - which is not something that can be said for all cancers. It effects an area visible to all, and yet it is overlooked and not considered one of the BIG FISH in the cancer world. I'm not sure why - maybe because it is thought of as one of those cancers that can be prevented (or at least was in the past) - you know the heavy smokers, drinkers stigma. This still persists even amongst drs who work in the ENT field - although that is changing with the discovery of the HPV / OC relationship. Still I know that if and when a young person goes in to see and ENT with no precursors for this disease, ( the typical ones - smoking and drinking) Cancer is generally dismissed until there are no other options. We need more education, amongst professionals, and laymen alike. hugs all... and again... we've lost so many - this news about Brendan brought tears to my eyes.
frown
Posted By: Mamacita Re: Sad day today! - 09-17-2013 07:32 PM
Rest in Peace, Brendan.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Sad day today! - 09-17-2013 09:15 PM
Sadness for another loss. May Brendon rest in peace.
Posted By: slim Re: Sad day today! - 09-19-2013 04:59 PM
So sad to hear this. frown Rest in peace Brendan.
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Sad day today! - 09-19-2013 11:27 PM
Very sad news. My thoughts and prayers to Brendan's family and friends.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Sad day today! - 10-07-2013 05:46 PM
Very sorry to read this. My thoughts and prayers to Brendan's family and friends. RIP Brendan!
Posted By: walknlite Re: Sad day today! - 10-18-2013 01:20 AM
Sorry to hear this!
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: Sad day today! - 10-18-2013 10:25 PM
RIP and condolenes to his to his family!!!Semper-Fi Bob
Posted By: ngk Re: Sad day today! - 10-19-2013 12:07 AM
My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Sad day today! - 10-20-2013 05:34 PM
We were very sorry to hear this, condolences to Brendan's family.
Posted By: KP5 Re: Sad day today! - 10-20-2013 06:46 PM
Very sad news. Praying his wife can find some peace in the storm.
Kathy
Posted By: EzJim Re: Sad day today! - 10-23-2013 05:02 PM
Damn it's sad to read this. Esoecially after going to the Funeral Home yesterday to pay my rspects to one of my better friends that passed away at OSU Heart center. Life has no guarantees but just does it's thing when it's our time. Makes me wonder why someone like me who has been thru so much lives on while younger people pass without warning. Not my time yet but it will come one day. Show love and respect while they are living and mourn them when they are gone.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum