Posted By: Karen Rose A Facelift is next. - 01-09-2011 03:37 AM
Hi everyone, I wanted to update on what has been happening since my last surgery in November.

After 3 year and 10 months, last week I returned to work on a part time basis. Due to the many challenges I'm now forced to deal with following OC and severe damage from Osteoradionecrosis I'm not able to return to the same job description I held, and loved before I was diagnosed. I'm extremely grateful my employer has created a new position for me. We're not exactly sure what my position will involve yet, we are making it up as we go along.

Returning during the holiday season has made the transition easier. Skeleton staff and light traffic travelling to and from the central business district has eased my nerves a little. A lot has changed within the office, but then again, so have I.

I miss the old Karen, and everything about my life before this dreaded disease took so much from me. I always will. Besides the emotional and physical bashing our minds and bodies survive during multiple surgeries and treatments, it takes a lot of guts and determination to overcome the many difficulties some of us are forced to adapt to every waking moment of the day from the permanent damage we are left to deal with.

Only months ago, the possibility of returning to the 'corporate world' after battling OC didn't seem like an option for me. Nearly all of my tongue removed and twice rebuilt with tissue from my thigh and hip to be permanently anchored down to become the floor of my mouth. My lower teeth, gums, chin and jaw removed and jaw rebuilt with bone from my hip. Tracheostomy for several weeks at a time. A PEG feeling tube for 3.4 years. Nerve removed from my neck to go in my mouth. Metal plates and screws holding my lower face together. Teeth implants, a titanium plate made to become the platform for my denture teeth to sit on. Neck dissections from ear to ear. No muscle around my neck and throat due to the many surgeries. The list goes on. Yet, here I am planning what food I will prepare to take to work for lunch next week. It is a challenge, but I'm sure it will get a little easier with time.

In February I will be having more surgery to 'release lower lip constracture' and a bilateral face lift. When my jaw was reconstructed my lower lip and face was pulled down and my lips no longer sit together naturally. It causes some drooling which can be very upsetting and stressful when I try to speak. Releasing my lower lip and doing a skin graft should allow more movement and therefore lift my lower lip. At the same time I will be having a bilateral face lift to shape my lower face / jawline to give a natural appearance.

I will be staying in hospital for a couple of nights and off work for about 3 weeks. I will be wearing a compression garment for appoximately 2 weeks after the surgery. Based on the many complications and setbacks I have had in the past, I had warned my boss about the possibility of more surgery. Fortunately, being away from work so soon is not a major problem, they understand my priority is with my health and wellbeing. They have been supporting me every step of the way since the day I was diagnosed.

I will update after the next surgery.

Karen
Posted By: wilckdds Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-09-2011 04:40 AM
Karen,

You truly are an amazing woman and so lucky to have a boss that is so willing to help you get back into the workforce.

I sure hope that this next round of treatment will be your last and that you will finally be able to get on with your life.
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-09-2011 06:17 AM

Thanks Jerry

Yes, I have been incredibly lucky, everyone I work with has been wonderful throughout the whole ordeal. They have re-written the sick leave rule book for me. I hope this will be the last surgery to.

Karen
Posted By: Marlene41 Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-09-2011 06:38 PM
Karen,

Yours is an amazing story of determination, perseverance and will. Your employer phenomenal. Good luck as you face your next challenge.

Marlene

Posted By: wheels Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-09-2011 07:44 PM
Wow, I am impressed with your determinaton and fortitude. You serve as an inspiration for all of us on those tough days.

Sharon
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-09-2011 10:06 PM

Thanks Marlene and Sharon. I appreciate your kind words

Karen
Posted By: David2 Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-09-2011 11:28 PM
Karen, I'm humbled by what you've been through and your determination and positive attitude. You inspire me, and I'm sure everyone else who reads what you've written.

I will keep you in my thoughts.
david 2
Posted By: Gabe Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-09-2011 11:50 PM
Hi Karen,
Even though I am aware of most of your journey it was amazing to read through you updated summary.
It is so hard to comprehend all that you have been through.
One comment you made says it all;
�It takes a lot of guts and determination to overcome the many difficulties some of us are forced to adapt to every waking moment of the day from the permanent damage we are left to deal with�.
You have guts and determination by the bucket load as you have been through more than most and you have my admiration as well as the rest of us here on OCF.
My very best wishes with your next challenge of the upcoming surgery in February.
May the end result be exactly what you are hoping for.
Love
Gabriele
Posted By: ChristineB Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-09-2011 11:56 PM
Congrats Karen!!!! This is a huge accomplishment!!!! Way to go!!!! Im so proud of you for working hard and getting back into the work force. I wish you the very best in luck with this. Also best of luck with your upcoming procedure.
Posted By: Jenslp Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-10-2011 03:03 AM
Karen, I cannot even begin to comprehend all you've been through. You have inspired me with your strength!
Best wishes to you!
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-10-2011 05:23 AM

Thank you David, Gabriele, Christine and Jennifer for your best wishes.

Karen
Posted By: Cheryld Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-10-2011 08:40 AM
Best of luck with your next surgery! Hopefullybcompared to you've been through this will be far more manageable!
Posted By: espressochick Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-11-2011 05:30 AM
Wow, you have been through so much. I am very new to the cancer world. I am almost at a loss for words to read your story. You are such an inspiration and positive force. You are amazing! Thank you for sharing your story.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-12-2011 04:22 AM
Karen,

Yours is truly a difficult journey and proves that you are an amazing woman. I wish all employers were that accommodating.

I hope your next surgery is successful and proves to be the last one! I�ll keep you in my prayers.
Posted By: BrandyK Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-12-2011 04:54 AM
WOW, What an awesome employer. My mom has been my caregiver and I have to say that her employer has been awesome as well since she has had to take off time to take me to doctor appts and stay with me. Now I live with my parents. They allowed her to work from home in order to be able to be with me and take me to everything.

I hope that this next surgery goes smoothly and gives you wonderful results. It gives me some hope as well as I have one side of my mouth that doesn't close and I drool out of it too. My new doctor says that I probably won't be able to get it fixed but I am not giving up.

I too love your comment �It takes a lot of guts and determination to overcome the many difficulties some of us are forced to adapt to every waking moment of the day from the permanent damage we are left to deal with�. I also read on the site that we have to grieve the person we once were and it made sense to me. I do not like who I am right now but I also know that I can't totally grieve who I was since I know I have more work to be done on me. When it is done maybe I will do something to help me accept who I am now compared to who I was.
Posted By: SUEZ Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-12-2011 03:16 PM
Holy cow what a strong strong woman you are! I'm just sitting here with my mouth hanging open in awe of what you have been thru BUT so happy that you are still here after all you have been thru and yes very lucky to have such a great company you work for, how awesome they are! Good luck on your next upcoming surgery.
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-12-2011 05:41 PM
Karen,

Your resilience, after all that you have been through, is amazing. Your experience offers much hope to others out there who are dealing with this disease. I am so happy for you with your upcoming procedures. And what a great and empathetic employer you have!!! That he/she is creating a job for you is heartening. I'll be looking for your future posts as you move forward. You have offered so much support to me and Clark. I'll be in your corner cheering you on!!!

Anita
Posted By: Carol L Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-12-2011 09:19 PM
Karen, oh my gosh! You have been through a lot, just keep on keeping on.....we don't have much of a choice do we? You Take Care and keep fighting the good fight! p.s. I am right there in it with you!
Posted By: EzJim Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-12-2011 11:28 PM
ouch, Yep, you have been thru a lot and are doing great. I lost all of my teeth and am about to lose my whole lower jaw bone. I hate the drooling as you do but it must serve a purpose. Good luck with your next surgery. It seems we are on the same time line with this stuff.It's getting close to my 4 yrs too. Keep up that gumption. You are a winner.
Posted By: WendyG Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-14-2011 10:28 AM
Karen, what an awesome woman you are. Truly an inspiration.
Posted By: klo Re: A Facelift is next. - 01-19-2011 12:06 PM
Hi Karen

It doesn't suprise me at all that your employer is so accommodating. My bet is there was no luck involved and you are merely reaping what you sowed.

I know from personal experience that, with all the crap going on in your life, you still have the capacity to worry about and help others.

I'll bet your employers were busting to get you and your attitude back!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum