Posted By: Carmen M Saliva Is Coming Back - 01-02-2011 04:11 AM
I am 19+ months post TX and realized that I finally have enough saliva to spit! I just had to share as I know that my OCF family can appreciate that this is definitely a milestone. I remember a while back when I was able to lick one envelope I thought that was about a good as it would get. But now there is even more saliva. Not 100% yet....but it is getting there. So for all of you behind me in treatment - don't loose hope.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Saliva Is Coming Back - 01-02-2011 02:11 PM
Hurray for Carmen! She can spit!! So happy for your progress, Carmen! (I am picturing you going around spitting on everything just for the thrill of it!) I can remember when my son did not have enough saliva to lick the envelopes so he could pay bills. I got him some self-stick envelopes (couldn't find those spongey tube things that hold water for moistening envelopes). Keep up the good progress!
Posted By: David2 Re: Saliva Is Coming Back - 01-02-2011 05:29 PM
Carmen: fantastic!

d2

(I'm about on your treatment timetable, hard to estimate the return of saliva but it's at least 50%)
Posted By: Deejer47 Re: Saliva Is Coming Back - 01-02-2011 09:19 PM
Good news Carmen. Are you taking a med to stimulate the salivary glands? I know that ther are a couple out there.
Posted By: rubyann Re: Saliva Is Coming Back - 01-02-2011 11:04 PM
been 2and1/2 years since oral cancer and I'm very dry, so dry i half to carry water every where I go even to bed I wake up 2 or 3 times a night with my mouth so dry that it aticks together I have try the gum and nothing work like water
Posted By: Elianne Re: Saliva Is Coming Back - 01-03-2011 01:16 AM
Hi Carmen, great news. It's definitely something to get excited about. Gordon is 8 months out of treatment and said he had the first squirt of something yesterday that felt like real saliva (usually anything that is there feels kind of thick), so now he has some hope. Saliva is one of those things we all take for granted until it's not there!
Anne
Posted By: David2 Re: Saliva Is Coming Back - 01-03-2011 03:35 PM
Great news about Gordon, Anne.

d2
Posted By: Carmen M Re: Saliva Is Coming Back - 01-04-2011 04:41 AM
To answer the question of am I taking anything - yes, 5 mg Pilocarpine 3x/day.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Saliva Is Coming Back - 01-04-2011 03:47 PM
This is good news Carmen. I can't spit but sure can drool. Even this makes me happy altho it looks terrible to others. Can't even lick an envelope but rub them across my bottom lip where the drool hangs out.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Saliva Is Coming Back - 01-04-2011 04:49 PM
You all are killing me here... Seriously. I am back at work waiting to get an appointment for an MRI (keep fingers and toes crossed for me) for tomorrow. And I am worried and nervous and falling apart and you are all making me laugh... I agree saliva is something we all take for granted. I figured this was something I had to look forward to ( no saliva ) amongst many other things. I am glad for you all... your recoveries and improvements, and to those still facing the ups and downs like me, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum