Posted By: robinmarie no diagnosis yet - 06-02-2013 12:25 AM
About one year ago i started having trouble swallowing and i had a soar throat. I noticed my glands were also swolen. The doctor ordered a cat scan, it showed enlarged nodules in my neck but said we just need to keep an eye on them. Ive had one other cat scan with no changes. Ive recently been having neck and head pain. The doctor ordered an MRI of my neck, it shows a mass on the base of my tongue. A cat scan of that area has been ordered. I am unsure if the enlarged nodules have anything to do with this mass but it sure makes me worry. Im still having the same problems that started a year ago. Everything i have read on the internet is not good. Has anyone else had these same probems?

Im so anxious to get the cat scan and results.

I hope to get some answers soon.
Posted By: PaulB Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-02-2013 01:05 AM
Welcome Robinmarie. Stay off Dr Google, and let your doctors handle this, and come here to ask questions, and for support. You did the right thing going to the doctor. No scan can prove cancer, only a biopsy can. The next step after the scan results should be a biopsy, maybe a FNAB, Fine Needle Aspirational Biopsy, which is a quick, fairly painless procedure, to get a small sample of tissue from the lymph node under ultrasound guidance, usually by a pathologist, but some ENT's do it too. They are highly accurate when a proper sample is taken by anexperienced doctor. The pathologist can look at the sample under a microscope, and may be able to see if its cancer right there, but always sends it out for further histology, confirmation. Some doctors may want to do a surgical biopsy during an endoscope, triple scope. under general anesthesia, and proceed from there, if necessary.

It does seem suspicious, but there are other things that can cause similar symptoms, showing on scans like an infection, abscess, inflammation, to include the lymphs, which is basically the bodies sewer system, and gets clogged. No scan is 100 percent accurate. Is your doctor an ENT, who has experience with cancer? Depending on the results, you'll see what the next step is, and Florida is not short of excellent hospitals and doctors, if ever needed.

Waiting is the worst! Keep busy, and time will pass by quicker, so it seems. Good luck.
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-02-2013 02:05 AM
Thank you so much for your response. It was not an ENT. Im actually new to FL with no general practitioner yet. Originally when all this started i was having trouble hearing, went to an ENT. He said it was my sinuses. The surgery didnt help. Im still having that problem as well. So im currently seeing a prompt care physician but he is also a hospitalist. Ill quit googling but that is how i found this site. Ill stay here. Hopefully ill have more info on Monday.

Again, thank you.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-02-2013 02:45 AM
Usually base of tongue cancer is detected once it moves to the nodes. You need to be seen by a good ENT one familiar with head and neck cancers. Not to say that's what you have but best to be sure - and the way to do that is get into see someone who knows what they are doing - best of luck
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-02-2013 02:49 AM
Thank you. I already feel like part of a group.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-03-2013 12:09 PM
Get to an ENT and perhaps he will do a FNA and hopefully get to the bottom of this.
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-04-2013 02:59 PM
The Cat Scan did show a definite spot on the base of my tongue. They've referred me to an ENT. I'm waiting on a call with an appointment. Not very patiently but waiting. Does anyone know if a small spot is likely something? I just want an idea of what it could possibly be.

My glands in my throat are almost always swollen & a bit tender.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-04-2013 03:05 PM
The next step is a biopsy that is the only way to know for sure. CTs show up inflammation, infection, even injury. What it generally picks up is areas of hyper metabolism, usually caused by some need to repair the area. So it could be a few things. However, push your dr. to make sure you get a biopsy asap. Depending on the hospital etc. it can take up to two weeks (usually a week - 2) to get your results back. Its a nail biting time so you want to end any question about what is going on asap. If it's cancer (not saying it is - but if..) then you are moving expediently and there will be less chance of it to spread beyond the point it has already reached. IF it isn't then you've eased your mind and can get on with your life. Don't let maybes paralyze you. hugs and best of luck.
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-04-2013 04:52 PM
Thank you. I will be sure to get the biopsy. I really appreciate the replies.
Posted By: fishmanpa Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-04-2013 05:47 PM
The waiting is the hardest part. When I was going through the diagnosis process, waiting for appointments and test results was agonizing! Then, once I was diagnosed, waiting to get started was just as bad.

In the mean time, stay away from Dr. Google! Good luck!

"T"
Posted By: Michelle Ann Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-04-2013 08:20 PM
Hi Robin Marie and Welcome. You've come to a good place. Whatever happens, this site is a great place to ask questions and get information that the doctors, however good they are, don't always have, since most never went through what we have gone or are going through. Good luck with the next stages. Please stay in touch. -Michelle
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-04-2013 09:29 PM
Thank you all. I agree in the staying away from Dr Google. Very scary stuff out there.
Posted By: Meli Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-06-2013 09:29 AM
Good luck Robinmarie,

Yes the waiting is horrible, keep us posted.
Posted By: Bart Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-10-2013 10:10 PM
Hi RobinMarie, sorry to hear you're having these kinds of problems, but as others have already mentioned, if it turns out to be cancer, Florida has a number of top notch treatment options. I'm in the Pensacola area (far western panhandle) and am treated at "The Woodlands," an affiliate of MD Anderson of Houston (said to be the best in the country.) I'm quite pleased with my "team" and have been so since I was diagnosed in '09.

Someone else will tell you that you are you own best advocate, and I have to emphasize this. Make notes of the advice you are given here, and then use these to ask your MO (medical Oncologist) detailed questions.

It's a good idea to take another trusted individual (spouse, family member, or friend) along each time you you have a conference about your condition, to back you up; and that means have them take copious notes as well. You may miss something important otherwise.

DO NOT EXPECT anything to happen automatically. It's unfortunate, but true, that often you may leave a conference believing that your next step is being scheduled, but if you haven't been informed with the time, date and location before you leave the office, it hasn't. Check on it and don't leave without a confirming slip of somekind in your hand.

Push. Be the person you hate if that's what it takes, but push for progress all through the process. They are human, they get overwhelmed and things can fall through the cracks. Someone needs to keep on top of what's going to happen next, and that person is YOU. So never leave without asking, "What comes next - and when? If you don't get the "when" part before you have to leave, be a pest until you get an answer to that.

I sincerely hope this is superfluous advice and it turns out not to be cancer at all, but if it does not turn out that way, you know what to do.

Good luck,

Bart
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-12-2013 01:30 AM
Thank you. I'm frustrated if course. My cat scan & MRI did show a spot on the base of my tongue. I've read nothing good about this. My doctor has set me up with an ENT but they can't see me until the 26th of this month. That's so far away. They said they would call me if they have a cancellation. Hopefully ill get in sooner. The glands in my throat are swollen & I have a tender spot on the back of my neck, this spot is new. I can feel the swelling in my throat.

I wish I could get an answer either way.

Robin
Posted By: Robroaster Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-12-2013 01:44 AM
call another ent, pref at a CCC that sees patients like you 20's/day.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-12-2013 11:54 AM
Yes do call around and try and get to see another ENT sooner. If you have swollen "glands" (perhaps nodes) then perhaps the ENT can do a FNA.
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-13-2013 02:36 AM
I got lucky!!! The ENT had a cancellation. I called today at the right time just to check. I go tomorrow at 2:00. I'm really nervous but anxious to get some answers.

Thank you all.

Robin
Posted By: PaulB Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-13-2013 12:08 PM
Good lick with your appointment today.
Posted By: Uptown Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-13-2013 12:20 PM
I so hope that luck you got RobinMarie is very GOOD luck and you have an irritated taste bud or inflammation causing node reaction. Best wishes for a very positive experience but a very negative diagnosis for cancer!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-13-2013 12:31 PM
Let us know and good luck!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-13-2013 01:56 PM
Blessings to you hopefully it's an all clear!
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-13-2013 10:09 PM
Thanks everyone. My biopsy is scheduled for July 1.

Anxiously awaiting the results.

Robin
Posted By: Meli Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-14-2013 10:20 AM
Oh Robin. Best wishes for you. I know it's extremely nerve wracking and wish you all the best. Please keep us posted.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-15-2013 01:39 PM
smile hugs... Hopefully you'll get good answers and be able to breathe easier.
Posted By: PaulB Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-15-2013 01:42 PM
Good luck with your biopsy!
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-16-2013 03:14 AM
My biopsy is scheduled for June 24. Im anxious to know something one way or another.

Last night i woke up having troube breathing. It really freightened me. That was the first time this had happened. Later in the day i choked on my dinner. That has happened many times. Has anyone had either of these things happen to them?

Robin
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-16-2013 03:18 AM
The doctors office called and changed the date of my biopsy from July 1 to June 24. Im glad ts earlier. Less torture. Im not a very patient person.

Thanks for all of your well wishes.

Robin
Posted By: Cheryld Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-16-2013 05:31 AM
Yeah!!!
Posted By: KP5 Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-16-2013 08:34 PM
That's GREAT!!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-17-2013 12:34 PM
Super
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-18-2013 02:24 AM
My throat is so sore and swollen. Is this common?
Posted By: ChrisN Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-18-2013 03:37 AM
I know waiting stinks...

I'm fairly new here so maybe this has already been covered at length. I had a very large node on the right side off my neck. It was hard and not movable but at no time did it ever "hurt". My primary was decent size and I did notice some minor difficulty swallowing immediately before treatment but at no time did my throat ever hurt either

You are on the right track with the docs. Let them do their job and tell you what you're dealing with. But be aware there are several other possibilities instead of the scary stuff you read. Take a deep breathe..,
Posted By: davidcpa Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-18-2013 12:13 PM
Robin,

Try and develop a Signature Line so that all readers can relate to your current Posts.

Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-19-2013 03:43 AM
Im unsure what my Signature Line would be
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-19-2013 09:53 AM
Robinmarie - just go to the top of this page and click on "My Stuff", then on "Edit my Profile" and scroll all the way down to the signature box and put in whatever you like about your treatment so far.
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-19-2013 03:36 PM
Oh ok. Thank you. Ill add that today.
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-25-2013 02:44 PM
Well, I had my biopsy yesterday. Im telling you thru my husbands words what the doctor told us since i do not remember anything.

The Doctor said he did see the lump & was able to do the biopsy. He could not tell anything from the examination during the operation. There are many things this mass could be. There was nothing grossly visible.

I will see the doctor next week for the biopsy results. Im not sure if him not seeing anything grossly visible is good or "no meaning". Another week of waitng & wondering. Im going to have a nervous breakdown soon.

I am releived that it was visible.

Does anyone have any experince with this outcome? I want to hear the good, bad & ugly.

Thans, Robin
Posted By: fishmanpa Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-25-2013 03:18 PM
Hi Robin,

For one to even begin to speculate on your situation would be irresponsible and cause you undue stress. It's not cancer until they say it's cancer. That being said, I prepared myself to hear the words I was dreading.

I had an examination on Nov. 21st 2012. At that time a scope was done and a FNAB. I asked the ENT to tell me straight up what he "thought" it was and he said: "This is cancer. I don't know what type but I've seen enough of this to know what it is".
Regardless of expecting to hear that, my heart still skipped a beat when he said it.

I did what everyone here has done....consulted Dr. Google and was convinced I had lymphoma. I was actually somewhat relieved when I heard it was SCC on Nov. 30th 2012. I had not heard of it before. Then I looked it up! ~sheesh~!

So it was an ugly outcome and quite a journey thus far with a lot more to go before I settle into my new normal. I'm two months post treatment and while I'm getting better, the progress is excruciatingly slow.

Positive thoughts and prayers,

"T"

Posted By: Cheryld Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-25-2013 04:13 PM
It's a tense time. I totally know the feeling. In my head I was thinking the same thing as fishmama - I knew I had cancer. The ENT who I was having the biopsy done by told me the day I saw him I don't like this area, and proceeded to do the biopsy. I had told him over the few weeks wait it was feeling better. He said that's good but I am still doing it. I felt chills when he said it and expected the worst.

Its a good thing he did the biopsy. Hopefully you will get good news next week. hugs to you. I don't envy you the wait. But you will get through it.

Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-25-2013 07:09 PM
Thank you both. My ENT Doctor didnt have a good enough feel to say for sure at that momemt. My throat & neck are all feeling worse, more swollen daily.

I have a terrible gut feeling.

Thank you all for the support so far.

I have not done my signature page yet. I was hoping to have mre to say after the biopsy.

Robin
Posted By: Andy Anderson Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-25-2013 07:49 PM
Hang in there, and remain optimistic! I hope everything goes well!!

Andy
Posted By: davidcpa Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-25-2013 08:16 PM
The waiting is the WORSE!
Posted By: Trebs Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-25-2013 09:53 PM
Hi Robin,

I had my biopsy on June 11th and was given the diagnosis at 4:40 on the 14th that it was cancer but we had caught it in Stage 1. It was the longest week on my life. I am now waiting for surgery on July 11th.

I think the best advise I can give is too let yourself absorb the information before you start making decisions. I got a 2nd opinion in Mayo Clinic after taking the weekend to think and calm down.

Wishing the best for you!
Posted By: gmcraft Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-26-2013 02:06 AM
Try not to get ahead of yourself. Having said that, I know how hard it is not to worry. Sending positive thoughts your way.
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-26-2013 04:25 PM
Thank you all. My appointment with my ENT is now on July 3rd at 3:30. Im relieved to be going a week earlier although that still seems like so far away. Thats ok. I can handle one week.

Robin
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-26-2013 05:37 PM
I'm having what feels like muscle spasms at the back of my tongue. Is this common from a biopsy a couple days ago? Ill call my doctor if not. It's pretty painful.
Posted By: PaulB Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-26-2013 05:42 PM
I never had it. Anything is possible from anesthesia, medications, and does sound unusual. Call your doctor for any concerns.
Posted By: robinmarie Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-27-2013 04:40 PM
My ENT called. No cancer. Im excited about that news but unsure cuz something is going on. Ive been having these problems for a year now. I see the doctor on Wednesday. Hopefully he will have answers then.

Thank you, Robin
Posted By: PaulB Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-27-2013 04:45 PM
That's great news! There are so many oral or medical conditions that can cause your ailments. I hope you find answers, but at least it's not cancer. Good luck.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-27-2013 05:01 PM
That is awesome! smile
Posted By: tamvonk Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-27-2013 10:14 PM
Well. that's a Yeehaa. No Cancer.
Hopefully you can relax now and enjoy life.
Tammy
Posted By: Mamacita Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-28-2013 01:06 AM
Congratulations! Good job following through on getting this checked. Keep taking care of yourself!!!

Lynn
Posted By: ChristineB Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-28-2013 02:31 AM
Congrats!!!!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: no diagnosis yet - 06-28-2013 12:59 PM
Congrats but do make sure you follow through to fix whatever needs fixin.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum