Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8650 10-24-2006 03:16 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Today I went to our dentist and found that as a result of Jack's case he has added velscope screening. All patients are given a form to sign when they come advising them of the screening option that they either sign for or waive.

I have never been so happy to see a blue light special. Of course our dentist is continuing to do regular exam screenings but it's a way of making his patients more aware of oral cancer issues and I think it's great. I talked another patient into it in the waiting room.

The only symptom Jack had was a mild sore throat and what we thought was a swollen lymph node about 2 weeks before his diagnosis. No one missed anything, there just wasn't a big leision to see upon a visual exam until it was advanced. This is a large practice so if some other patient is diagnosed in an earlier stage then it feels to Jack like he's made a difference.

Some days we're pleasantly surprised.
Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

We will soon have information up in the products for dentists part of our site on the VELscope. (Visually Enhanced Lesion Scope) We are just waiting for images from the company. It is a really interesting device which works on the natural occurring phenomenon of tissue fluorescence. Who would of guessed that all normal cells have the natural ability to glow when their molecules are excited by a very specific wavelength of light? If they do not glow, there is something wrong with the cell, perhaps cancer. Simple idea, that came to light (no pun) after tens of millions of dollars of research grants out of the NIH. There is a news article on the brand new device in the news section of the site. Besides its first introduction into the dental world of oral cancer, it is going to be used in cervical, colon, and elsewhere to look for lesions.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Brian, I am thrilled to hear that you will have the screening information assembled in a place where I can access it easily. I am determined that, when I have such valid information, I am going to my young dentist....the one who did NOT recognize my cancer until it was advanced (let me clarify that....He never did recognize it, even the day before it was diagnosed by the oral surgeon...)and encourage (insist, if I can) that he initiate advanced screening procedures in his office, and that he work toward spreading the word among dentists in the community. I might even be willing to assist him in such an effort, and perhaps even in organizing a free community oral screening. It would be beneficial to him, professionally, if he accepts my offers of asssistance. But first, I have to be armed with the latest information. Thanks!

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

The site is already full of things for dentists, and the Velscope is only one part of the equation. It is useless in the hands of a dentist that does not already know how to do a conventional eyeball and finger exam, or recognize what they are looking at. It is not a magic wand, it finds lots of things besides cancer, so they have to be educated on oral lesions, both benign and malignant, and recognize and then differentiate the things that they see into what is worrisome and important and what is not. It is just a tool. The doctor still needs to be an educated and involved person. Here are just a few of the many things they should read.

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/dental/screening.htm

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/dental/role_of_dentists.htm

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/dental/pdf/Dental_professional_overview.pdf

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/dental/how_do_you_know.html

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/dental/pdf/oral_biopsies.pdf

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Joanne and Jack kudos to you for helping to make a difference.
Mark.

Mark D. Stage 3 Nasopharynx dx10/99 T2N3M0 40xrad 2x Cisplatin 5FU. acute leuk 1998.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23